Chapter One

{Photo of Valerie} {Cover by: Cameron Toogood @NotLikeYouThink} 

The distaffs ran back and forth expeditiously; shouting orders back and forth amongst each other. The sound of their frantic footsteps echoed throughout the dining room. The adrenaline in their veins made them indefatigable. Several of them collided with each other and had little time to exchange apologies.

"Dust the photos! Clean the table!" The head maid, Bertha, shouted. Several of the maids did as she said. Others put out gaudy decorations on the walls and windowsills.

Two maids rolled out a mauve tablecloth for the table, then proceeded to lay out the plates and silverware; salad fork, dinner fork, dinner knife, teaspoon, soup spoon, and cake fork and dessert spoon on top.

The two large entrance doors to the right busted open, making everyone stop what they were doing. The young Cecelia Farewell, the eldest daughter of the Farewell family, stood in the doorway with a look of fury. Standing a few feet behind her was her personal maid, Valerie Cotter.

Cecelia's youthful face twisted with disgust as she looked at the dining room. The maids put their heads down as she, and her maid, walked closer to the table.

Cecelia's entire being did not bode well with all the workers. Her entire person screamed power. Her blonde hair laid on her back, braided tightly like a whip. Brown eyes lit with rage. Her lips matched her dress perfectly; thin and colored red. Her skin was a shade or two darker than usual, due to her frequent visits to the beach.

She folded her arms and sighed. "You can't do anything right, can you?" She asked, her voice filled with venom. "I told you to use the red tablecloth and rose gold plates, but what do we have here?" She lifts up the mauve tablecloth with a look of revulsion.

"You told us to thro-" Cecelia's glare silenced the brave, and quite stupid, maid mid-sentence.

"When I say I want red cloth," she walks up to young maid, "I get red cloth." The maid, Jessica, shook slightly in fear. She came from an impecunious family and feared of losing her job.

"Today is a very important day," Cecelia shouted. "It has to be perfect." With that, she leaves.

Everyone went back to their business, except Jessica, who was sobbing, and Valerie. Valerie walked up to Jessica and put her small hand on the younger girl's shaking shoulder. Jessica looks up at her, her big blue eyes filled with tears, and Valerie gives a small reassuring smile.

"Don't let her get to you," Valerie says. She leans in closer and whispers, "she's a bit of a curmudgeon person, but you get used to it." She knew that more than anyone else here for she grew up with Cecelia. Valerie's mother, who died many years ago, worked for the noble family for a long time.

After she turned five, Valerie too worked for the family, taking care of their daughter. She had to stay close to the snobbish and crude child no matter what and was forced to play with her when others did not. She constantly made jokes at Valerie's expense, but it didn't faze her one bit.

Valerie opens up her mouth to say more, but a call from Cecelia interrupts her. She rushes over to her mistress, who stood impatiently in the hall. Cecelia sees her and gives her a look of disappointment. "What took you so long?" Valerie knew better than to answer, so she remained silent. "We must get ready, they'll be here soon."

"I have your dress prepared, it is in your room."

"My dress?" To say that Valerie was shocked is an understatement. Not once did Valerie ever have to change clothing for a guest. She would follow Cecelia around in her normal dull clothing. Then again, Cecelia is meeting one of her younger marriage candidates. If it doesn't work out with him, then she might have to marry someone well beyond her years.