one: down by the water

Iris Salt shoved her key in her front door and turned it, swearing terribly under her breath as the stubborn lock refused to give way

Iris Salt shoved her key in her front door and turned it, swearing terribly under her breath as the stubborn lock refused to give way. She'd had a long enough day at her accountancy course, she at least expected her front door to open. Finally, the key clicked and the door swung open and immediately, Iris was hit with the incessant weeping of her younger sister, Martha.

She kicked the door shut mid-stride and jogged up the stairs to her sister's aid. Her piteous, distraught sister. "Oh, Martha..." Iris exhaled at the sorry sight. 

Martha's usually pristine blonde hair remained unbrushed and knotted - as it had for the past week and she was still wearing the same nighty she had worn the day she received the news. "You still not heard from him?"

Martha shook her head and broke out in another sob.

Iris, unable to take seeing her younger sister in such a state, stroked her sister's matted hair gently. "I'll speak to him."

Around 9 days earlier, Martha found out that she was pregnant with her boyfriend's child at only 16. Having grown up alongside the boy in question -  John Shelby - and his brothers, Iris was more than happy to sort this mess out. She wouldn't have anyone take the piss out of her sister, especially not a boy whose bullies she once fought off many years ago.

Martha's cowering head shot up. "No! You'll scare him off for good!"

Iris bit back a reply that said Martha had done that herself by getting knocked up but decided it would do no good. "I won't. Just leave it with me, sister." And with that, Iris turned on her heel and headed for The Garrison, ready for an argument.                      
                                         ——
The door to the snug swung open, and in came Iris Salt, looking extremely fucked off.

Thomas, Arthur and John all exchanged a quick look before turning back to the livid-looking girl.

"What's up with ya?" Arthur asked, but Iris didn't even bother to acknowledge him.

"John, may I speak to you? In private, please." Iris requested, sounding very formal.

" Iris requested, sounding very formal