Thirteen

Eddie was shivering as he walked through the cold downpour. He couldn't quite tell the difference between the patter of his feet as he walked, or the patter of the rain surrounding him.

Eddie put his hand in his pocket and touched Richie's dampened note, and it comforted him like the company of a friend would comfort someone.

Even though Richie's house was a long walk away, it went by in a blink, and before he knew it, he was knocking on the Tozier's front door.

He heard a female voice inside yell, "Richie, get the damn door."

Eddie waited a few moments, and the door clicked open, revealing Richie, who had a cigarette in one hand.

"Eddie? What are you doing here?" he asked, confusion and concern in his voice. Richie stared down at the younger boy, who's soft, dark brown hair fell in soaked strands on his soaked face. Eddie stared up at Richie, his own eyes glinting with tears and sadness that had just gotten to Eddie when he arrived at Richie's house.

"She kicked me out, Richie." Eddie said. 

Richie was mortified, and threw the cigarette outside, then moved out of the way so that Eddie could walk inside. "Why the hell would she do that?"

Richie took two of Eddie's bags, and as the two walked up the stairs, and Eddie winced at how strong the smell of booze was, Eddie explained.

"She saw your signature in the book, and I told her I was gay, and she told me to leave." 

They entered Richie's cluttered room, and Richie took Eddie's red slicker, and hung it on a hook that was nailed to his bedroom door. 

"That's it? She just kicked you out of your home after you came out?" Richie said, frustration in his voice.

"...No, actually. I-I told her that I... I told her that I loved you, Richie. And I do, I love you, Richie." Eddie whispered.

Richie felt his heart soften, and he quickly walked over to Eddie, and pulled him into the embrace that Eddie knew and loved. The one that made everything feel alright. The one that made Eddie feel like nothing bad was happening, and nothing could hurt him. Eddie quickly hugged Richie back, and the two stood there, their chests pressed together, Richie's arms around Eddie's skinny waist, and Eddie's arms around Richie's neck, until Richie moved his head so he could press his lips to Eddie's. Eddie immediately kissed back, and all the bad memories from his mother were no longer so bad. The kiss was passionate, but short.

"I love you, too, Eddie. I love you so much, and I just want you to be safe, but this is all my fault." Richie said, and for the first time, Eddie saw Richie really, truly cry. The taller boy started letting out soft sobs, and Eddie cupped his face in his cold hands.

"No, it's not your fault, Richie. How is it your fault?" 

"Because the first time this happened, it was because of my note, and now it's because of the book. I'm so sorry, Eddie."

"Don't apologize, because you aren't to blame. Nobody's to blame, other than my mother. It's her fault." Eddie said, and then pressed his lips to Richie's in a quick kiss once more. "I just... I just don't know where I'm going to go." 

There was a brief silence, the two boys just standing there, Richie thinking.

"Okay, I think I know where we can go." Richie said. "Here, I'll get your bags. Put on your coat."

"Where are we going?" Eddie asked.

"Beverly's." 

Eddie helped Richie stuff some empty travel bags they found with clothes, books, bed sheets, blankets, and pillows, and the two were off. They were anxious to get there, but at the same time they weren't in much of a hurry.

Richie was driving the car, while Eddie sat in the passenger seat, somehow managing to look both hopeful and scared at the same time.

"Are we just gonna live there, now? Do you think she'll mind?" Eddie asked.

"No, she wouldn't mind. I'm sure she'll be happy."

"I don't think we have to hide it anymore. Sure, our reputation will definitely go down, but I don't really care that much."

"Screw reputation. Derry's gonna have to deal with us, Eddie. If they can't handle us being together, then that's on them." Richie said, looking down at Eddie with only love in his big, brown eyes.

  ♚  

Richie was knocking on Beverly's door. Richie was starting to feel that ray of hope that Eddie was feeling. 

The door opened, revealing Beverly, who had a confused expression on her face.

"Hey, guys. Did you forget something?" she asked, and then her blue eyes made their way down to the stuffed travel bags, and she furrowed her eyebrows. "Another sleepover?"

"Mrs. K kicked Eddie out." Richie blurted out.

Beverly's eyebrow were now raised in surprise, her thin lips parted. "Here, come in." 

The two boys walked inside, setting their heavy bags near the door, and feeling an instant relief.

"Okay, so explain, please." she said.

"So, my mom found the book Richie gave me, and she saw Richie's signature in it. I told her I was still seeing him, and that I was gay and loved him, and she told me to get out of her house." Eddie said.

Beverly walked over to Eddie, and pulled him into a quick hug, and then she did the same to Richie.

"You guys are so brave." she said. "So, Eddie, are you banned from the house?"

"Yeah, I think so. And I don't want to go back, anyway." Eddie said.

"So, are you guys saying you want to move in, and live with me?"

Richie and Eddie were silent, and then Richie shrugged.

"Is that a yes, no, or maybe?" Beverly asked.

"Would it be okay if we stayed here until we got our shit figured out?" Richie asked.

"Of course! I have an extra bedroom that's completely empty, and you guys can stay here as long as you need."

So they did. They took the room that Beverly had mentioned, and the next Monday morning they walked to each class holding hands, ignoring the eyes that bored into them, the slurs whispered behind their backs, the hateful messages written on their lockers, and all the other things. Those people couldn't get to them anymore.

They lived with Beverly, and Stan, Mike, Bill, and Ben came to spend time with them as much as they possibly could.

The Loser's club didn't care about what people thought about them. They weren't scared of the people who had hurt them, because those people could no longer hurt them. Nobody's words could really get to them, anymore.

All that mattered was that they were together again, and not much else.

  ♚ 

END 

A/N Thank you for reading Coy! I'm not sure if this was too short of a story, though. But I'm definitely going to start writing a new story soon. (and it will be It related) I'm sorry if the ending disappointed anyone, but I couldn't come up with a happy ending besides this one. I will try to make my next book a bit longer, if possible.