Chapter 19

I am in the South Tunnel.

        I seriously want to scream from being in a tunnel for so long. Now that it's night, the only light that shines through the tunnel is from the moon, but it's not much. The entire place is mostly filled with darkness. Even though I'm now in a area in the tunnel that can fit around fifteen cats, I still want to get out of here.

Well, first I want to get out of here, and then clean myself of all of the dirt I have on my fur. I shudder when I think about that. I hate dirt.

But I hate tunnels more than I hate dirt.

Oh well, I guess I just have to try to survive here tonight.

         We've been joined by ten other rebel cats. I don't remember what all of their names are, but for the most part, they are friendly. They don't mind that I'm new here. However, now I'm alone. Rain assigned each cat to patrol a different section of the tunnel. Luckily, I got the one closest to the surface of the hole that I entered from. It's starting to feel lonely, though. I have no idea where Rain and Ash are.

I sit down in the corner of this strange rectangular area. Whoever had the ridiculous idea to build these tunnels needs to get the blue-leaf. Now that I think of it, that thought sounds pretty harsh, but at least it's entertaining my bored-to-death mind.

Maybe I should go to sleep. Rain said that we could sleep if we wanted to. We just need to inform the cat that's patrolling near us so they stay awake and guard while we're asleep.

Wait, but I don't want to take that path to try to find that cat. I already have enough of-

A yowl from afar in the tunnel jolts me from my thoughts. It's a battle yowl. My heart freezes in terror. Someone unwelcomed has entered in.

Oh no, what if it's them? What if Ice and Mirage is here to steal me back? I can't hide; I have to stop them!

The yowl sounds again, this time even louder. And before I can think of tunnels, I am on my paws and bolting into the path.

The blinding darkness and the stuffy air surround me again. But no, I can't think of that. I have to keep going.

I reach a larger area. The cat who guards here is already gone.

I keep running and crawling as fast as I can. How long is this stupid tunnel? According to Rain, it's the longest one. After I think that, I want to screech from my agony that is happening on the inside.

But no. I have to keep moving.

What feels like centuries later, I finally reach the area of the yowl. All of the drama and noise is happening outside, so panting and exhausted from my frenzied run, I climb up the slope to the hole and slip out.

        I'm late. Everyone else who was in the tunnel with me is already here, crouched in a position ready to attack as they watch Rain face off against who I'm guessing are three Superior cats. Luckily, none of them are from where I came from. They must be involved in another camp. Relief releases some tension in my body as I stare at them from the back of the crowd.

        I hear Rain hiss, "There's no point for any of you to fight. You're outnumbered. Get out, and never come back."