Chapter 3: Nanami & Sora: STARSTRUCK!!!

Subaru スバル

Subaru spent most of his afternoon keeping an eye on Sora and making sure that she didn't assault any of their other classmates.

Jeez, he thought irritably as he watched Sora help pass a note across to the student sitting beside her. Who hugs someone they just met anyway?

For most of the day it had felt as though God didn't want them to experience this first day together; there was always someone who wanted his sister's attention - for better or worse. First it was the boy who had helped her find the school on the exam day, then the cheerful giant that she had decided to hug right away, before being dragged to the other side of the cafeteria to be introduced to another boy. Asides from Nanami, how many girls had Sora actually spoken to since arriving here?

I suppose she'll have her roommate at least. And then his brotherly instinct really kicked in and before he knew it, his form had bolted upright, "WHO'S GONNA BE HER ROOMMATE?!"

The entire class burst into laughter and when he came to and realised what had happened, blood rushed to his cheeks. At the front of the class, Ringo-sensei appeared half-annoyed, half-amused. The cross-dressing idol made his way to Subaru's desk and shook his head in disbelief.

"Thinking about girls already? Tch, tch." The idol flicked his perfect hair across one shoulder and wagged his finger at Subaru, who was self-conscious of every student's eyes on him - including his sister's. He lowered himself back into his chair and avoided meeting anyone's gaze.

Ringo-sensei smiled and stole a glance at Sora, who was torn between embarrassment on behalf of her twin, and amusement at the entire scene.

"You two are the Shimono twins, aren't you?" Ringo-sensei asked playfully. "The twins who overcame all odds - both mental and physical - in order to pursue their love for singing!"

He tapped on the desk expectantly for Subaru to lift his head, "Isn't that right, Su...ba..ru?~~" He accentuated each syllable with a cheeky twinkle in his eye.

"I- I don't sing," was all he could mumble back.

"Oh~~?" His teacher turned their attention to Sora instead, "Is that right, Sora-chan?"

Her eyes widened and her lips hesitated to form words until she managed to squeak out, "We're a double act."

Ringo-sensei clapped his hands and laughed triumphantly, "Is that so? Well, I'm sure we'd all love to hear you sing." He looked to the other students, "Right, minna?"

They nodded enthusiastically - including the two boys who Sora had spoken to at lunchtime.

Subaru swallowed hard, trying his best to use his twin abilities to tell Sora to make up a valid excuse - she'd always been more imaginative than him when it came to excuses. Surely she knew enough to know that he wouldn't sing - that he couldn't sing? Not since last June. Not since...

But Sora had already bounced up and was looking to him with her usual playful expression, "Let's do it, Nii-chan!"

He shook his head roughly, "Absolutely not."

"Please?" Her eyes were bright, eager to prove and determined. It had all been the same that last time too; she'd begged to sing one more song while the summer festival cheered for an encore and then--

"NO!" He shot up and before she could say one more word, had marched out of the class - out of the building, intent on going anywhere that wasn't... there.

He exhaled heavily as he followed a path that led down towards a lake. The school building could be seen in the distance, and the trees around him helped him feel sheltered from his sudden vulnerability.