perks of dating a musician

"Baby, I got you something," my girlfriend said with contagious enthusiasm as soon as she walked into our living room. She quickly left her leather guitar case to rest against the wall before she walked towards me.

With a grin, I stood up and greeted her with a kiss. I removed her beanie off her head and ruffled her short, messy hair, making her laugh. "Hi, hot stuff. What's got you so excited?" I asked as we sat on the couch.

"I got you a thing." She reached inside the pocket of her hoodie and said, "It isn't, like, expensive, okay? I just found it in my room when I went to visit my parents and figured... I don't know. Close your eyes."

"What is it?" I asked, adoring her excitement and nervousness.

"You gotta close your eyes and give me your hand," she said and I followed. She placed something cold and metallic on my hand. "Okay, open." I opened my eyes.

On my palm, I found a small metal guitar pick turned into a cute necklace. The pick had a faded engraving on one side, and it attached to a thin silver chain. A smile formed on my face immediately. I'm so in love with this dork.

But before I could speak, she nervously rambled, saying, "It's my first guitar pick from when I was 7 or something. I don't really use metallic picks anymore because they feel weird when I use them but—I'm rambling again, I don't know. Sorry." She rubbed the back of her head in anxiousness. "I just did the necklace thing by myself so it isn't super pretty but we can get it fixed at a jeweller later but I—why're you looking at me like that?"

Holding the handmade necklace to my chest, I leaned towards her and gave her a kiss. "I love you," I said sincerely. "This is definitely my new favourite thing in the world."

"Y—you like it?" she asked in genuine innocence.

"I love it. So much," I replied with complete honesty. "Can you wear it on me?"

An excited grin found its way to her lips. "You really like it? Like, actually like it?"

I nodded. "Absolutely." God, she's adorable. "I love it."

She stood up and excitedly took her handmade necklace from my hand. She stood behind me and carefully wore the silver necklace around my neck. "Does it fit okay?" she asked as she rushed to sit in front of me again.

I held the metal pick between my thumb and forefinger. "It's perfect, baby. I love it. Thank you."

Her lips grew into a playful smile. "I'm good at picking gifts, huh?"

With an amused smile, I rolled my eyes and playfully threw a pillow at her. "Why am I even dating you?"

She took my right hand between hers and kissed it. "Because I make incredible jokes and I'm really hot."

"I'm not sure I agree with either," I joked.

She playfully frowned. "Hey!"

I laughed. "I love you, you loser."

She smiled. "I know. I love you, too."