Kim in Wonderland

"Kim! Kim! Would you wake up already?! Today is the day and you are being a sleepy head!" Lisa, my sister, grumbled while shaking me, "I knew you shouldn't have stayed up so late, bouncing around."

            I curled into my blankets, mumbling, "What time is it? And it's not my fault I was so excited that I couldn't sleep."

            Lisa tugged at my blankets but I held onto them with all my strength.  I twisted and turned until my blankets became a cocoon.  No amount of my sister's tugging was going to get me out of this bed.

            "It's almost seven.  You know that it takes two hours for us to get there.  You know that the park opens at nine.  Right?" Lisa said exasperated.

            I nodded but gave no sign of getting up.  The blankets were too nice and warm and cozy.  They lulled me back into a dream.

            Only Lisa was having none of it and shattered my rest as she tried to get me to wake up.

            "Leave me alone Lisa!"

            "No! I've been waiting for the day that we went to the amusement park since Mom told us about it! I'm not going to let you ruin it!"

            "Lisa! Let go of me!"

            "No!"

            "Girls, what in the world is going on in here?  What is with all the shouting?"

            Lisa and I turned to the door with wide, terrified eyes.  Mom.  She was the picture of patient love and care, but we knew not to push her past her patience.  She didn't like it when Lisa and I didn't get along.  Neither of us wanted a time out and today was too important for a thing like that.

            After a quick, panicked exchange between us, I sprang out of bed and started to brush my hair.  Lisa ran to the dresser to pick out an outfit for me.  Out of nowhere, we were getting along like peanut butter and jelly on bread.  But we knew our Mom knew better than that.  She knew we were just putting on a show.

            Mom shook her head and laughed as she turned away, saying over her shoulder as she left, "By the way, breakfast will be done shortly.  Then I want you two to brush your teeth then we'll be off to the amusement park."

            "Yes Mama," Lisa and I replied in unison.  When Mom was out of sight, we glared at each other.

            "You know I'm not going to wear that," I stated as I gestured toward the outfit.  It was just a simple pair of shorts and a floral t-shirt.

            Lisa frowned, "Why? We're just going to the park."

            "I'm not going to wear it because you picked it out.  And you woke me up from a great dream."

            Lisa scoffed, "Really? My picking out your outfit is the only reason why you won't wear it? Do you really want to get a time out today?"

            "No..." I divulged reluctantly while fidgeting.

            "Then just wear the outfit."

            I waited until Lisa left before grabbing a different shirt.  I quickly got dressed and ran downstairs.  I nearly tripped over my own feet as I descended the stairs.  Mom and Lisa had already started eating, so I just grabbed a plate and piled on some pancakes.  I added some syrup and sat across from Lisa.  She silently glared at me as we ate in silence.