*Chapter One* Journey on the Hogwarts Express

The muffled sound of the train engine awoke Astoria from her deep sleep. The past several days flashed through her mind: seven hour flight to London from Boston, the drive from the London City Airpot to a hotel, then the constant scouting of apartments with her mother. Astoria rubbed her eyes and yawned, how long has she been asleep? Was it only hours ago her mother bombarded her with the news she would be staying with her aunt until she started school?

"Until I find the right place for us," she remembered her mother, Aquila, smiling. "It won't take long, your term starts soon and we don't have a permeant place to live yet. Rosmerta lives closer so it would be easier, for the both of us, if you stay with her."

"You mean it will be easier for you if I'm gone." Astoria spatted back at her mother. Aquila couldn't fit in another word as Astoria stormed off to begin packing for her trip to her aunts. 

It was moments like these when Astoria ever wondered if her mom wanted a daughter. Well, deep down Astoria knew her mom didn't want a daughter like Astoria. 

"Astoria?" the sound of her name brought her to focus again. "Astoria, I never thought you would wake up."

She glanced bringing herself back to where she was. Astoria was in a small train compartment with her Aunt Rosmerta. More memories came back to her, the awkward greeting with her aunt (who she barely knows) the taxi ride to Kings Cross Station, entering the magical gateway to Platform 9 3/4 onto the Hogwarts express. Rosmerta was in the chair across her reading a book a look of concern on her face. Astoria never saw her aunt much but when she did, she never believed they were actually related. Her blonde hair and blue eyes were nothing like Astoria's black hair and hazel eyes.

"Did you have a bad dream? You look pale, have you eaten today?" Rosmerta said as she reached across the compartment to touch Astoria's hand.

"Tired. " Astoria said turning towards the window.

"Well I can imagine," puffed Rosmerta. "You only arrived in London a week ago and now you moving in with me. All this moving around is draining."

Astoria didn't answer.

"I mean it's only temporary, you know that dear, " She tried to reach for her but Astoria only turned away.

"I've heard that a lot lately," Astoria mumbled.

"What did you say dear?"

"You know mom never told her real reasoning's why we had to move." 

Astoria raised her voice but still did not face her aunt. "We were fine where we were but no mom wasn't happy anymore. 'Too many bad memories' she said," Astoria scoffed. "Yeah right."

"Well I'm sure she missed home too," Rosmerta said .

"How would you know," Astoria said turning towards her aunt now. "You never bothered to make an appearance in our lives. I don't even know you."

Astoria shifted her full attention back to the window ignoring Rosmerta. She didn't care if her words were hurtful, they were true. The last time she saw her aunt was at her fathers funeral, when she was three. Astoria always guessed that her mom never liked talking about her sister was because she is a witch. Just like Astoria. 

Her parents were both No-Majs, non-magical people; although she hardly remembers her father. She knows nothing of her father family either and hardly anything from her mom's. The closest thing she had to magic was Rosmerta whom her mother ashamed of.

Astoria's mother hated magic, jealous of her sister for being blessed with such a gift. However overtime Astoria began showing symptoms of magical possession around the time she was five. There were things that normal science and logic couldn't explain. Like how when Astoria begged her mother for purple hair and her mother refused, the next day she awoke with lavender strains of hair that wouldn't go away for weeks. Or how whenever, Astoria would get upset objects would combust suddenly. She remembers when her and her mother were having one of their many heated arguments and suddenly every piece of her mother's precious china exploded into a million pieces. Thus Astoria's mother tried to shield any form of magic or peculiarity from her daughter. Yet Astoria still received her letter from Ilvermorny right before her eleventh birthday.