4 | Impertinence, The Greatest Asset For Anti-Bullying

》Impertinence, The Greatest Asset For Anti-Bullying

Natalia didn't know what to make of the camp. There was so much happiness, but she could feel the death radiating off the fields and ground. She didn't know how she could tell, but this place had faced war. She could feel the lingering atmosphere of dampness left by the souls that had descended to the Underworld. If there was a proven Underworld. And then there was the fact that, apparently, the camp was magically in the middle of springtime.

"Lacy?" She asked her tour guide and new friend as they walked towards the cabins to continue the tour.

The blonde girl looked at her curiously. "Yes, Natalia?"

"Who do you―" she faltered, wondering if she dared ask the question at all, especially if she so feared the answer she could receive. "Who do you think my godly parent is?"

Lacy stopped to think, when she saw something over Natalia's shoulder, paling. "Come on, Natalia. We should go."

"Can you just answer the―"

"Now, what do we have here?"

Natalia froze, and could see Lacy stiffen up as well, neither of them letting a single muscle relax as the small group of boys circled them, and she could see their swords glinting in the sunlight as clearly as the day. They could hurt her, and she'd be defenseless.

She stepped backwards, into a patch of flowering pumpkin vines, where she stumbled over a rock and fell onto her back. The boys turned all their attention to her, and, stepping into the flower patch, advanced quickly.

One of them sneered. "Weakling. You're just a wimp. Just like Lacy the Lame, here." He jutted his thumb in the blonde girl's direction, but she was gone.

So much for making friends, Natalia thought angrily. But why would anyone want to make friends with her? She was just a nobody. Natalia the Nobody, that's good, she thought sarcastically.

Another of the boys noted that the other girl was gone and scoffed. "Even Lacy wasn't lame enough for you. Gee, that's something new."

"Stop," Natalia said, but it came out louder than she thought.

The last boy gave her an amused smirk. "What was that?"

She was at her breaking point. "I said, 'stop'."

"Isn't that adorable?" The second boy rolled his eyes. "She's trying to be confident."

"Well," Natalia began icily, having had quite enough. "I'm surprised an idiot like you knows what a big word like that means. Can you spell that, too?"

"Uh, K- O- N- F- I- D- I―" "It begins with a 'C', halfwit. Oh, I guess that's what the 'Half' is for you. Half-brained."

It took the other two boys a few moments to get it, but they began snickering, and their laughing only grew louder as the one who tried to spell pushed Natalia to the ground.