Ending

"Georgette," I call out, "Don't forget the basket. I left it on the kitchen table."

"Got it," she sang back.

It's the third year anniversary since the three died. Yes, it didn't happen on the same day, but we pretend it is the same so that we could remember how close they were.

Jerry died in the hospital with his family around him, unlike Mary and Dick. The doctor says it was a heart attack which is uncanny because he is a young kid. It was as if he had to go so he could be with them, at least that's how I think of it.

-

We get to the park to meet up with the Reynolds. Gregory and Scarlet are also there with their one year old son, our grandson, Jared. We talk about our lives and even though we are gathered for the three kids, we don't speak a word about them, but I know that everyone's thinking about them by their gloomy faces.

After a bit, I space out when Georgette doesn't stop talking like she usually does and so I begin looking at a tree. I remember that tree, I remember of how they used to play there. I would drive by there and see them all the time hanging out by that place.

In all honesty, I was rooting for Dick to end up with my daughter. He was very good for her, I even think them dying together is a sign that they would stay together till death parted them. However, I don't think death parted them nor Jerry, for that fact, because when I looked at that tree I saw something.

I saw them.

They were playing.

Mary stood in the middle, had one arm wrapped around Dick's shoulder and the other around Jerry's. They were walking, laughing, and then she looked at me. With those sweet brown eyes she looked towards me and the others and smiled. She blew a kiss towards me and I knew that she was okay.

My baby was okay.