Chapter One:

Clamps around wrists and ankles connected to chains suspending a girl in the air. She was pale, her skin taking on a grayish hue. Her eyes an icy blue and her black hair hanging limply about her face.
Wrists rubbed raw from tugging at the chains.

The door opened a sliver and another girl slipped in, a clipboard clutched to her chest.
As soon as the door closed the prisoner began to freak out, thrashing from side to side and screaming "Let me out! Let me out!"

The clipboard girl approached her cautiously, holding out a piece of bread in own hand and a glass of water in the other.
The screaming stopped and the prisoner sniffed at it, looking the clipboard girl directly in the eyes.
The clipboard girl smiled, a sad, forlorn smile but a smile nonetheless.

"Hey. It's me. Lotus. Here, you must be hungry, have some bread. I couldn't sneak you anything better today, sorry."
The chained girl nodded solemnly and then shot forward, her sharp teeth nearly missing Lotus's hand as she flinched back.
The girl snarled, yanking at her chains before falling back. Lotus came closer to her and held out the bread again. This time she took a bite from it without attacking.
Once she was done with her bread Lotus held out the water, allowing the other to drink and occasionally pulling away so that she wouldn't drink too fast. After Lotus had removed the empty glass from her lips the prisoner continued looking at Lotus, whose attention was on the clipboard.
As though sensing the stare Lotus turned her attention back to the suspended figure dangling before her.
"You're lucky to be alive you know that right?" Lotus said, her voice soft. The other girl nodded, her piercing blue eyes wide as she looked at Lotus.
"Now I'm going to ask you some more questions." She nodded again.
"Do you remember the others?" Her head tilted to the side and her mouth twisted into a frown and then she shook her head.
"What is your name?" This time she spoke, a thick raspy voice that conveyed the pain she had had to endure.
"I don't have a name, but some people call me Soul. It stand for Special Operating Unit Lucky, because that's what I was meant to be and what I am not."

Lotus sighed. "Alright last question. Where do you hurt?" Soul leaned her head closer to her left hand, poking it roughly with her index finger. Her pale blue eyes staring right into Lotus's own. "Inside my head." She whispered just loud enough for Lotus to hear. "And in my heart."