Prologue

Dusk was on its way.

The breeze was horrendously nippy tonight which was completely unforeseen, given that the past few days have been nothing but scorching hot. Due to that, my thin t-shirt and ripped jeans were downright a big mistake.

Walking along the narrow path that leads to our house, I wrapped my arms around myself and bit my dry lip.

How did I ended up this way though?

Realization suddenly washed over me and instantly, tears made its way down my red cheeks. I bit my lip again, though this time, hard. Immediately, I tasted a hint of blood.

No. I wasn't going to let this affect me. Heck, I won't even think about it from now on.

As I repeat those words again and again in my head, something caught my eye.

I was standing in front of a cafe. There was an old-looking brown notebook sitting on the ground beside the cafe's glass entryway. Sauntering toward the cafe, I peeked inside and saw no sign of any customer except for the crew.

Picking it up, I turned it around to check for any names and saw initials written on the bottom right corner of the notebook. It read 'K.Z'.

I'm not by any means of the inquisitive sort, but this one had me. I can't comprehend how or why, but I feel like I want to read what's in it. So without any hesitation, I began my walk to our house with the notebook in my hand.

"The stars they shine,
For you have become mine
Even for a while,
'Cause of you, I'm at long last fine."

I raised my brow as I quickly flipped the pages of the notebook to check if this book was filled with poetry. I was right.

Whoever this is, he or she is without a doubt, a great poet, even though I've yet to read more.

Reading the first poem again, I felt a sharp pain in my chest as I was suddenly reminded of what happened earlier today.

I closed my eyes and sighed deeply, trying to convince myself to think of other things. But obviously, that isn't going to work for me.

A knock on my bedroom door distracted me from my thoughts and my sad attempt to be positive.

"Camila, Heidi's on the phone," Mom shouted. I quickly stood up and opened the door, relieved that I have something to distract me now. Mom gave me a weird look as I hurried down the stairs to the living room to answer the phone.

"Guess what?" Heidi asked.

"Hi to you, too. Why didn't you just called me on my phone?"

"You weren't answering." Oh, yeah. I have it on silent because I didn't wanna receive calls from him, despite the fact that I know he wouldn't even make an effort to call.

"So what is it?" I inquired.

"You know that kid Zion Williams? Fritz's friend's friend's best friend?"

Heidi sure is a tough one. How was I expected to know him?

"Uh, well, considering there's about more than a thousand students in our school that I couldn't care less about, unfortunately, no."

I could sense Heidi rolling her eyes right now.

"Geez, all you have to say was no. Anyway, Art and that Zion guy have something going on!"

I paused for a while before saying, "What? Artemis? Our Artemis? With a guy?"

"Yeah, can you even believe? I have yet to know the other details though. That's all I know," she replied.

Artemis has been our friend since primary school and never have we ever thought she'll finally open her heart to someone.

She has her reasons on why she doesn't like being involved with guys though, so this was a huge shocker to us, her friends, as we know how tough it is for her to finally chose to do this.

"Have you talked to her about it?" I questioned.

"Not yet. I figure we'll all talk about it at lunch tomorrow," she said.

"Okay, I wanna meet that Zion Williams guy as well."