Chapter 33- Shedding light

Desmond's POV

"I want the apple!" Vidic hollered.

"Why? What benefit will it bring you?" I asked, annoyed that the simplest task had to have complications, and that Vidic had to be the one behind it all.

I noticed that the apple was still in its place at the side of the statue, and I took the opportunity to edge closer and closer, while Liya was arguing with Vidic- the perfect distraction.

I reached up and grabbed it, the golden patterns shining slightly brighter at my touch.

Liya and Vidic were still engaged in a heated argument, to which I was paying no attention.

I managed to slip away, not knowing if I had been seen. I ran like never before, weaving left and right through the network of alleyways. I knew that Liya could hold her own against Vidic- but I didn't know how long for. And I needed to get the apple away from them, before Vidic did something stupid.

I had the warehouse in my sights, and I sprinted like never before. I burst through the door, capturing the attention of everyone in the room.

"Liya is in trouble."

"Where's the apple?" Shaun asked.

I held it out in my hand, and everyone gaped at it for a while.

Rebecca snatched it from me, and put it in a safe under her desk.

"Now what was that about Liya?" Lucy asked

"It's a long story, but she's alone with Vidic right now, and I don't know how much longer she'll hold out against him." I informed everyone.

That was enough to spur us out of the door, and through the streets.

"Desmond, your hair!" Shaun shrieked.

I rolled my eyes.

"I've done a lot tonight, okay?"

"No, I mean, it's longer, and if I'm not mistaken, it looks like Ezio's!"

I felt around the nape of my neck, and sure enough, I had a small ponytail of hair. And I bet it looked stupid.

"It's because you used the same animus, if Liya's file was corrupt, then it would have corrupted yours too!" Rebecca informed us.

We were all kind of out of breath from talking and running, and I mentally kicked myself for not being fitter.

We got to the end of an alleyway, and at the end of it, was Liya.

She had Vidic pinned to the ground and was growling insults at him.

"You'll never win, Vidic." She snarled.

Vidic smirked and pulled a black, shiby object from his jacket.

A gun.

"You'll never win, Liya." He said, and shot.

"LIYA!" I howled, the scene breaking my heart.

Liya's body grew limp as Vidic pushed her corpse to the side.

Suddenly, all of her features turned a bright white, until she was a mass of white on the floor.

Not a sound could be heard, as Vidic went to go away.

But I couldn't let him get away, not this time.

I threw a throwing knife at him, hoping for it to be fatal, but my shaking hands ruined my aim and it implanted itself deeply in his shoulder.

He screamed, but carried on anyway.

"Cazzo." I uttered.

"Desmond, oh my God!" Lucy shrieked.

"Rebecca, Shaun, go back to the warehouse and deal with the apple. Rebecca, you know how to deal with it, Right?"

"Yeah."

"Quick. Before Desmond gets any further along."

"What?" I asked.

"You spoke Italian and you have Ezio's beard."

I felt my chin, and to my dismay, she was right.

We dashed over to where Liya's dead body was still glowing, a wave of tears falling down my face.

We kneeled down next to her, feeling totally useless.

"W-What do you think is happening?" I asked Lucy.

"I-I don't know. Maybe she's not actually-"

She was cut off when thr bright white engulfed everything around us in a final blast. It dissipated, and a body was left on the floor.

And it wasn't Liya's.

"Excuse me, messere, but where am I?"

A/N- It's all cracking off! What do you think is happening?

Go and read "The new earth project" and "the boundaries of orion" by mygiftismycurse, they're amazing!