Winter Wonderland

Cold wind nipped at Jesse's rosey cheeks as she walked down the slippery path. Doing her best not to slip, Jesse made her way to the porch of her childhood home, and knocked briskly at the door. It clicked open to reveal Jesse's mother, with her hair pinned back in a sloppy bun and smudged mascara along the rim of the Emerald eyes that she had passed on to her daughter.

"Oh, hello my sweet girl!" Jesse's mother exclaimed, embracing her daughter in a tight, loving hug.

Closing the door behind her, Jesse paused to take in the familiar aromas of home. The smell of savory cooking mingled with the sent of old leather, a smell Jesse could only describe as home.

"I'm so glad you could come home this year!" Jesse's mother laughed, "everyone's been waiting for you!"

At that percise moment, Jesse was nearly knocked over by a small boy running up to hug her.

"Jesse! Jesse!" The boy smiled, "Pick me up!"

Jesse obliged and lifted her cousin off of the floor and into her arms, "your hair has gotten so long Jacob!"

Smiling wide, Jacob accepted the compliment, "I'm growing it out! I wanna look like Uncle Mason!"

"Speaking of," Jesse said, turning to her mother, "where is Dad?"

"I'm in the kitchen sweetheart!"

Still carrying Jacob, Jesse followed the noise into the kitchen to see her father working hard on mashed potatoes.

"I'm excited to see that boyfriend of yours again, what was his name?" 

Jesse rolled her eyes, "Ha ha," she said mockingly. 

Then suddenly, Jacob, who had been quiet for the entire conversation burst in, "OOH JESSE'S IN LOOOOVE." 

"Jacob, you've met Lukas." 

The little boy didn't respond, instead he began squirming, "Put me down! I gotta tell everyone you're in love!" 

Jesse obiediently put down her little cousin, who imeadiately rushed off to spread the "news." 

Then, Jesse felt a scratching at her ankle, she looked down to see a little pig, with a spot on it's side. Jesse bent down to scratch the pig behind its ears. 

"Hey Ruth," Jesse mumbled quietly, "how are you?" 

The pig looked confused, then Jesse realized, Ruth was looking for her brother.

"Sorry girl," Jesse muttered. 

Jesse felt a hand on her shoulder, it was her father's. "It wasn't your fault." 

"I know, he died a hero." 

Jesse decided to get her mind off of the past, she stood up and began to make her way to the back patio, where her Aunts and Uncles were telling stories, each one more exaggerated than the last. When Jesse walked in, she heard head a glimpse of a story about a thirty foot fish, before her youngest uncle, Jacob's father, noticed her. 

"Enough talk Allan!" He interpreted, "why don't we let a real hero tell a story?" 

The entire table looked at their niece in anticipation, Jesse tried to talk herself out of the situation. ("But Uncle Ben, you already know the story!") Jesse was about to give in when there was a knock at the door followed by Jesse's mother shouting, 

"Jesse! Your boyfriend's here!" 

Relieved to have an escape, the girl rushed to the foyer to greet Lukas. After receiving a quick peck on the cheek, Jesse took his coat and hung it up on the nearby coat rack.