Chapter 9: Consuming Fire

I couldn't remember how but I fell asleep in the arms of this innocent maiden. She didn't say a word but her eyes consoled me perfectly. Those eyes were fixated on me as I caused her long tunic filled with tears, my tears. I felt cold, and my body started to shiver, it feels like the bed was shaking nonstop as if there was an earthquake, strong enough to lose my consciousness. My eyes started to close, and her face, slowly faded from my vision. 

Then, this vague memories, started to emerge. It was the scenario from that afternoon when I first saw her. 

*Dream*

It was... after they left.

The humidity has gone up as the sun reached its peak. All I could hear was the engine of that car who sped away with the ghost of my love. The mirage created by that car's smoke brought me in tears. By the time I came back to my senses, they were gone. "Did you let her go just like that?" Thoughts kept rushing in. I felt blood flown in my head, bringing me to my knees, as the tears began to flow endlessly. I sat down in front of the town hall where she left me: confused and unrest.

Then a big hand tapped my shoulder and spent the time with me while bearing the burning sun. Silence took over for an hour and a half until the cool breeze ended the humid day.

"Son", a familiar voice caught my attention, "I think it's time!"

Without having anyone on my side, without having any clear thoughts nor energy to argue about how much I want to spend sometime alone, my feet voluntarily followed him. He led the way to his office. It was seven in the evening and the lights from the hallway were almost gone.  I looked and stared outside the window, and saw the lights from those small cabins disappear, like my ray of hope of to live.  Then an old lady interrupted my sentiments, "Here. Take this son, it is the best coffee here in town", and offered me a drink, "Take a sip while it's hot", she smiled then went straight to Ramon. 

 "And as for you Ramon", she addressed him while fixing his collar and untucking his polo shirt, "Don't stay long and don't forget our little Bonita's dinner party", and gave him a hug. Ramon answered her sweet gestures and kissed her, "Of course, Mi Amore". 

I looked away. This is an unbearable scene to someone like me who will never have a chance to  hold my love. I closed my eyes and bowed until Rosa went out of the office. 

He took the cup, "Hmmmm" sniffed the coffee and took a sip, "Ahhhhh", feeling satisfied, "My Rosa's coffee is the best", wearing a smile on his face. 

"So, you and her are..." I intriguingly asked. 

"Si, si. I haven't told you yet. She is my second wife", he happily announced. 

"I see", then I took a sip, and confirmed, "It's good."

Then he began sharing stories about his family and how he ended up being this town's mayor. 

That was the start of our conversation. Ramon took a sip from his mug and the sudden change of the mood occurred in this place. To be honest, I don't even know what to expect, I just came here with a sole reason, "to know more about Lilith and her past". But things get a little bit complicated, since I saw that lady. Preoccupied with these, I didn't here what Ramon has said from the start. 

"I don't want to keep this from you anymore, nor do I want to involve you, but things are getting out of hand and we need to work fast. We need as many help as possible".

His claims made me confused and I confusedly walked back and forth in front of his desk while his eyes followed me. Confused and clueless, my mouth uttered these worth, "Hold on a sec Ramon. I think we are having a misunderstanding here." I added, "I am only here because I want to learn more about Lilith. Nothing more, nothing less."