18

3 days until the snowball, tuesday

'hey victoria' steve said as he walked in through the front door

i was sitting on the living room couch, watching a tv show I wasn't even really paying attention to

'i brought pizza for lunch since I forgot to pack yours; i know it's almost three but i hope it counts' he said as he placed the two boxes on the kitchen table

it snowed a lot today, and the school didn't have ice to melt the snow, 

so school was naturally canceled

i turned off the tv and walked over to the table and sat down across from him as he picked up a slice

after about ten minutes of silence while we were eating, steve asked me,'vic, do you know that school dance, whatever it's called, is on friday?'

i put the pizza down,'um, yeah. i was maybe planning on going'

'with who?'

'um'i paused for a second, trying to think of an excuse when he interrupted my train of thoughts

'richie?'

'you banned me from seeing him last year.'

'victoria, i know there's no science project with eddie.' he said sympathetically, not getting mad

'how?' I asked him in slight panic

'well, when you said you went to eddie's house on sunday, you forgot your backpack so i went to the kaspbrak household and you weren't there. i drove around town trying to find you and then i  saw you at the dress shop with richie and what i suppose is his mother. you're going to the snowball with him, aren't you?' he asked me. 

the funny thing was, that he didn't even get mad

he didn't even seem the slightest bit annoyed

but i didn't buy it, so i blurted out, practically in one breath,'steve you have no idea i'm so sorry for not telling you. i promise i won't ever go to the snowball with him. i'm so sorry i've been sneaking around i won't do it again just please don't get mad at richie he didn't ever do anything, hurt me not him'

steve breathed out an airy response,'i don't hate him, victoria mia. sure, i'm not exactly excited that he's dating my little sister and is an annoying little twerp sometimes.  and even though i don't like him, i wouldn't hurt him. nor would i hurt you. you deserve happiness, and if he makes you happy then i'm all for it. all i want is for him to come to dinner tonight so i can get to know the real him, and not just what you say about him. if he comes for dinner tonight, you guys can go to the snowball; and if he doesn't, you guys can't. deal?'

i thought about what he had just said, and knowing richie he'd never pass up an opportunity to see me,'deal, i'll go to his house and ask him now. what time?'