Sneak Peek

This is an excerpt from the first chapter, so that readers can see a bit more of how the story's going to go until it's been officially posted. Enjoy.

_____________________

There was no obligation to share your name or where you were from - there wasn't even an obligation to make your presence known. It was perfectly alright to fade into the background, to act as if you didn't matter. It was perfectly alright to admit that you were just as fucked up as the rest of the population, and in this room, you could be just about anyone you wanted to be - and maybe that was why I decided to speak next.

It was almost as if my brain made the decision for me, moving my body up to the podium before I could think twice and stop myself. And then I was talking.

"I guess you could call me whatever you like, as I'd rather not share that in here. I don't really know what I'm supposed to share up here, seeing as I haven't got much of a story as of yet, but I do know that alcohol is really the only thing that makes me see clearly for a little while. I don't really see that fact changing, but for the rest of you," I paused, looking around the room at all the faces I wonderfully didn't recognize. "You really can do it. And for the ones who already have, you're one hell of a fighter because addictions run deeper than just your exterior." I finished, my voice cracking a bit as I realized how much of a mistake this had been.

Everyone says that there's a first time for everything and that, with a little practice, it all gets better, but I wasn't seeing that as I realized how out of place I was. Even in a room full of strangers who weren't any more put together than I was, I was still an outsider.

_________

There you go, you guys. Let me know what you think? Maybe it'll motivate me to post quicker. Until then, I love you all. x