1st and last(?) chapter

"Still time... for one... last photo!" Stefano reached for his camera, took it, ready to take one last shot of Sebastian and hopefully save himself from certain death when Sebastian turned around and pointed his handgun at Stefano for one last shot.

"Nope," said a female voice and a woman appeared. It caught Sebastian's attention, making him lose focus on Stefano. The woman quickly threw a knife at Sebastian and it hit his left shoulder. The detective froze in time then and there.

The woman teleported to Stefano.

"Come on, get up. We don't have much time. The knife won't keep him frozen for long. Do you have enough strength to teleport us somewhere safe?" she asked while trying to lift up Stefano off the ground.

Stefano didn't answer but they both teleported.

They appeared in a front hall of a big mansion. It's walls were full of weird and twisted photos of humans and their parts, telling a lot about the owner of the mansion.

"That was close. You almost became art yourself. It would've been a shame because you wouldn't have been the artist," she said and smiled.

She turned around and saw all the photos.

"Wow... so this is your art?" she was greatly amazed by what she is seeing, "Beautiful..."

Stefano seems to have recovered himself a bit. He slowly stood up and looked at the woman. His face was full of confusion and distrust.

"Who are you and how did you manage to find me," he asked while fixing his black hair. His damaged right eye, replaced with a camera lens, was visible until he swept down his bang over it.

"First of all, I would like to hear a thank you. But, knowing you, I'm not surprised you're not on your knees thanking me for saving your ass. Second, I'm Ambriel," she answered.

Stefano didn't expect such a brave and candid answer.

"You're a brave one, aren't you?" he asked with a sardonic laugh and, without waiting for an answer, added, "You seem to like my art. And you're good with weapons, specifically throwing knives. Are you possibly a─" he didn't finish his sentence as Ambriel answered:

"Yes, I'm another twisted human who likes seeing people die. And yes, I am good with weapons. I only use Despair though. That's how I call my throwing knives by the way. They never let me down if I hit the right spot," she answered.

"How did you end up in Union?" asked Stefano. It can be seen from his eye that he started to show a bit of sympathy towards Ambriel. Not a big surprise knowing that they share the same passion.

"Same way as you did. Only later. They wanted to have more artistic people in Union to lighten the city up and bring more entertainment to people living here. Unlike you, I was totally sane before entering the Union. I used to be a crime scene photographer. This job fascinated me because the victims were dead and I was alive. The fact that I could capture their lifeless body is amazing. I, an alive human, stood there in front of Death itself," her eyes were shining. She remembered all the crime scenes she's been at, "Those were the good days..."

"Indeed. This is what those philistine, callow neophytes don't understand. They don't understand our art and the beauty of it. They don't understand us. What we do is unacceptable to them. They want to change us because we're different, thinking they could sculpt us into what we are not. They have no imagination. They are not artists," Stefano's voice was full of anger and contempt.

"Most artists of every kind experience this. This is why I hide my art. I don't need an audience. I am the audience," said Ambriel.

"But what is art without an audience?" asked Stefano.

"But what is art without appreciation? We're the only ones who appreciate it," answered Ambriel with a sigh, "Anyway, back to my story. Unless I'm beginning to bore you."

"Not at all. There is no better topic to talk about than art and death," answered Stefano and smiled, "All this conversation about it made me feel alive more than ever."

"Glad to hear that. Turns out I can not only kill but also heal," answered Ambriel. She never had a bigger smile on her face, "When I entered the Union, at first this city seemed boring to me. Just like the world before. I had to take boring pictures, make exhibitions and entertain people. Then one day, I've read an article about a serial killer. About you. It caught my attention and I decided to find out more about you. I found out that you're a photographer too. A war photographer. War is pretty much the same as crime. I mean, war is literally a massive crime. I found pictures of your victims and they really amazed me. Your skill, your artistic abilities. I can't compare to you. You're a professional and I'm just an amateur."

"I am glad to find someone who appreciates my art. I would like to see your work too,' said Stefano.

"I would be honored," answered Ambriel and did a curtsy. Stefano smiled. No derision was left in his face.

Only now Ambriel looked at Stefano's face. Tired, hurt but still beautiful face.

"Look at what this battle did to you..." she said and walked closer to Stefano and put her hand on his cheek. It's warmth lightly went through her palm.

Stefano quickly teleported away. Ambriel let out a short surprised scream.

"Don't touch me," said Stefano, looking at the ground.

"W-why?" asked Ambriel surprised and a bit scared.

"I'm not used to being touched," answered he.

"I'm sorry..." said Ambriel.

"Anyway, back to your story," he went back to his confident, arrogant posture.

"Right..." Ambriel was confused about what just happened. Did she expect a response like this? No. She expected much worse, "A week later I met a priest in a local church. He was very nice and sweet talking─"

"Theodore Wallace..." interrupted Stefano.

"Yes..." continued she, "He gave me something. Powers. But guess why he did that? To hunt you down after you get the Core. He knew that you won't give the Core back because of what she can do. He gave me these throwing knives that can freeze a target in time. But you need to hit the middle of the target's chest in order to make him frozen until the knife is pulled out. That's why I was in a hurry back then. He also gave me teleporting and invisibility powers. I teleport silently, unlike you. You seem to want to draw people's attention. I don't. So, I was assigned to eliminate you from Theodore's way. I was watching you for quite some time and whenever I had an opportunity to kill you, I just couldn't. We have a lot in common. I just couldn't kill you and end your art. Also, I seem to have... nevermind," whatever was on her mind at that moment, she didn't want Stefano to know it. Not yet.

"What is it?" asked Stefano.

"Nothing. Don't ask. Anyway, I have to go. I have... some things to do," answered she.

"Does it involve turning humans, or, what's left out of them into art?"

"Yes," answered Ambriel.

"Can I come too? I want to see how you work."

"No, sorry. I always work alone. Maybe some other time," answered she and was about to teleport to God knows where when Stefano said:

"Ambriel!.. Thank you. For saving me."

Ambriel turned around, looked down and shook her head lightly. A childish smile ran across her face. She then quickly teleported to Stefano and hugged him tightly.

"You are very welcome," she said.

Stefano hesitated a bit, maybe he wanted to teleport away from Ambriel's embrace but answered with a hug too.

Ambriel freed from the hug and said:

"I have to go. See you later. Hopefully."

She was about to teleport away but hesitated. She turned around, looked into Stefano's eye and said:

"Sometimes life is more beautiful than death."

And then she disappeared.

If only Stefano knew that she was still there with him...