October 4- 89

Kaden was curled up with Lucy in the backseat of Sam's car. He'd been driving for hours now (he didn't know how many exactly, he wasn't paying attention to the time) and it was Kaden's turn to drive. Sam didn't want to wake him up though, because he thought he looked so peaceful and happy. He loved it. Why should he interrupt that? He didn't figure he should, so he let Kaden sleep with his arm around his little dog.

He'd gotten an idea of where to go a while ago, and was now using his GPS to get him there. Another reason to continue driving, he didn't want Kaden to know where he was taking him. Actually, their first stop was a motel. But in the morning, that's when he'd show him October 4th's reason to stay alive. He supposed he could let him drive to the hotel, but he reminded himself of how peaceful he looked, and settled on the decision to suck it up and keep driving. Besides, it was only an hour longer.

That hour seemed to go slower and slower with every passing minute, because at this point Sam was so tired he'd almost crashed the car once from nearly falling asleep at the wheel. That experience woke him right up though, and gave him just enough energy to get to the motel. Sam carried their belonging inside by himself, then Lucy and her stuff (which were two bowls and a leash). Finally, he woke Kaden up and showed him inside.

"Where are we?" Kaden asked groggily.

"Motel Six in Northern Cali," Sam answered. "It's late, I'm gonna go to sleep."

"Yeah, I think I am too," Kaden replied, yawning.

The next morning came, and the two boys got up at the very latest they could to grab breakfast from the motel, which consisted of soggy scrambled eggs, stale bread and jam, and sausage that was surprisingly decent. After their less than extravagant breakfast, they got in the car and headed off to the next stop for Sam's project.

"Where are we going?" Kaden asked, peering at the GPS system.

"You should know by now," Sam chuckled, "I'm not telling you until we get there!"

"You totally should though." Kaden laughed and looked out the window, humming along to the song on the radio, occasionally singing the words.

Sam smiled every time he sang, even though he was hardly loud enough to be heard. He had a nice voice in Sam's opinion, even though Kaden insisted he couldn't sing to save his life. As of now he was alternating between singing and humming a Nirvana song, and Sam had to admit even though it was his favorite song he was listening to Kaden more than the actual song.

It didn't take them very long to reach their location, seeing as Sam found a motel fairly close to it. Kaden stepped out of the car, looking confused. Before him sat heaps of snow piled onto hills and small mountains and slopes.

"It's cold," he commented, looking around.

"That's why we brought coats," Sam replied, digging around in the back seat for them. He threw Kaden his before putting his own coat on and zipping it up.

"So where are we exactly?" Kaden asked. He couldn't see much more than copious amounts of snow.

"Skiing and snowboarding park. You've always said you wanted to try one of the two, right? This is today's reason. Skiing and snowboarding."

"Yeah, I always thought it would be pretty cool. No snow in San Diego though, so..." Kaden trailed off.

"Come on, let's go get boards. Or do you wanna ski first? I figured we could try both today," Sam asked.

"Let's ski first. It seems easier," Kaden answered thoughtfully.

The two boys made their way to the small building that rented out skiing equipment. The small girl behind the counter asked which type of skis they wanted, where they then proceeded to embarrass themselves with their pitiful lack of knowledge about which type of equipment they wanted and what would best suit their needs.

"Don't worry, people come in all the time not knowing this stuff. If you're total beginners I recommend these-" the counter girl pulled out two sets of skiing equipment- "because they're the easiest to control in my opinion. The building across the pathway right there has instructors. You might wanna look into that, as well."

"Thank you, we will," Sam said with a smile as he pulled out his wallet to pay for the rentals.

Just like dinner that second day, Sam hadn't let Kaden touch the bill for anything that required money to do. Kaden felt really bad about it, because while Sam certainly wasn't poor he wasn't extravagantly rich. He did have limitations, and Kaden didn't want Sam draining every penny on him. He already felt awful about Sam putting his life on hold for him, because Kaden could never seem to make up his mind about his decision anyways. But if he did follow through with his suicide, then Sam would have wrecked his own life essentially for 100 days for nothing. It would be Kaden's fault. Sam would be nearly broke and mentally drained and tired and mourning for nothing. Sam's messages to Kevin were front and center in Kaden's mind at this point and they wouldn't leave. All he could do right now was distract himself with snow related sports.

It was impossible to count the number of times either boy fell down within the first half hour. They were both equally horrible at snowboarding and skiing alike, and it showed in every attempt they made. In fact, half the time they weren't even standing up yet before they wound up with their face in the snow.

Despite the embarrassing lack of skill, they were both thrilled to have tried it. They both also greatly appreciated the opportunity to make fun of the other in the rare moments when one was upright and the other had his ass on the cold ground.

Sam forgot about Kevin for a moment, and Kaden forgot about his own death.

Even if for just a day, just a moment, they were both okay as they kept themselves busy.

They were okay.