As the Days Pass By

Hidan and Kakuzu really didn't get along. Their interests turned in opposite directions, and their beliefs were set the exact same way. They just couldn't come to an agreement on any subject whatsoever and it was a lost cause to try to make them get along. Yet strangely enough, their teamwork was one of the best. They knew what was going on in eachother's immortal guts.

   That's why Kakuzu knew about Hidan's infatuation.

   Infatuation?

   Contrary to popular belief, the zombie brothers actually got along like real brothers, just in a jerk older brother and annoying younger brother sort of way. During the pair's stay at the Rain Base just a couple of weeks after Hidan's induction was when Kakuzu first saw it.

   The forlorn look in the Jashinist's eyes when he thought no one was looking. Yes, Kakuzu saw that look all the time. When he was counting money, writing mission reports, or simply reading through the bingo books, he'd glance upwards every now and then and would catch Hidan's sad stare forwards.

   Had the man come to terms with something? Remembered something? Realized something? Kakuzu didn't know.  What baffled him most was that Hidan never let anyone else see that look. Kakuzu, being the observing person he was, sat back in his chair in the living area, and watched. Subtly, of course.

   Kakuzu, to me, never seemed like the type to care. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. We weren't a family. We weren't even friends. We were S-Class criminals scattered across the Five Great Shinobi Nations with one common goal.

   Peace.

   Which I knew would never be achieved.

   For a few days, Kakuzu watched Hidan with a midly-interested eye and the results proved fruitful, yet something Kakuzu never expected. He shook his head wearily and turned his attention back to the money on the table before him.

   The idiot.

   Hidan knows that it won't happen.

   Yet he hopes anyway.

   Kakuzu felt bad for his partner, he really did. In the world of an S-Class shinobi, there was no room for love. Hidan's love? She was explicitly unattainable.

   My jaw dropped. Hidan was in love with--?! My fingers unconsciously turned a few chapters ahead. Chapter 57: Age Eighteen- On His Prayer.