Chapter 11

Lirah watched helplessly as her companions were imprisoned one by one, her protest went unheard by the woodland elves. “Please, they are my friends,” she pleaded to the head guard. “They are not the enemy”

“Lirah?” a soft voice uttered, when the elf turned sharply, her heart grew warm. Meoneth. The brown haired elf drew closer to her, tears brimming in the corner of her bright green eyes. “It’s been so long. What happened? Where were you? Thrand--” as soon as the name came out of her lips, Lirah saw her eyes growing  cold as she stepped back to add distance between them. At the same exact moment, Lirah’s eyes wandered at the small wooden crown upon her head. A crown bestowed only to a noble elf, many possibilities swarmed her head but she chose not to dwell in it. Perhaps it was because she feared that her conclusion might be true.

“Thranduil wished not to see you. It’s best if you turn back, you have caused enough trouble in Mirkwood” Turning around, she left, leaving the confused elf behind.  After all the long years of separation, her response was the least thing that she had expected. The woodland maidens followed her closely, and when they were surely gone, the whispers came again.

The red-haired elf came upon her again, dragging her gently away from the commotion. “My lady, if you truly wish to speak to lord Thranduil then you must hide! Meoneth will never permit you to go any closer. Tonight, before the feast, you can meet him in his chambers. That’s the only way”  

When the night came, Lirah did as she was told. She hid in one of the empty chambers that were previously occupied by a servant, the same one that came with her when they were ruthlessly attacked. The loud noises indicated that preparations was being made and Thranduil would certainly be in his chambers . He never did like seeing things that are undone, preffering to arrive when everything was in order.  Wearing the hooded cloak given to her earlier, she made her way, trying her best not to be noticed. As the path grew more familiar, she breathed more often and deeper.

The chambers above were as still and quiet compared to the chaos below. It was beautiful. The lights were of different colours with various  kind of flowers displayed at each walls. Thranduil had it made so it will remind her of her gardens in Rivendell, a kind gesture even if the reason was not as pure. He frequently expressed his unwillingness for her to visit Elrond, stating that she was needed in Mirkwood.  A giggle brought her back to reality and quickly she hid herself behind a statue of Thranduil’s father, the height of its stature aiding her quite conveniently.

Thranduil brushed a few strands away from a woman’s face , his eyes beholding her so tenderly. “You’re so kind, my love” a voice spoke, the tone making it clear to whom it belonged to. At her words, Thranduil removed his hands away as quickly as he could.  “We should go now, the feast should be starting any time soon” he said detachedly. As they moved, Lirah could clearly see who he was talking to, and she was not surprised.

“But the dwarves, what will become of them?” she asked, noticing how far he was from her. Meoneth never found the chance to tell him that Lirah was there for she was afraid, if Thranduil see her, she will live in the shadows again and her love for him would be buried deeply as it was before. They were finally moving forward, he was relying on her more, she will not let her friend stand in the way ever again. She had her chance, now it’s hers.

“I don’t know” he confessed, Thorin’s journey had his interest peaked. The dwarf is still in possession of the white jewels that he so desperately desired, Thranduil will need to find a way to get it back. Whether in peace or by force. It didn’t matter.  

As the two walked, Lirah was confident enough to move. But her plans was halted as something nudged her , turning around she saw a tiny elfing who looked at her with wide eyes. “My lady, do you remember me?” she asked, her tiny frame not matching with the loudness of her voice. Lirah placed her fingers against her lips, in hopes of silencing the child.  But her request was not honoured. “My Ada told me that you were gone forever. I didn’t believe it. I’m right, my lady would never really abandon us with the grumpy king. My lady is too nice to do that”