Chapter 16: Sold

A week goes by and I haven't seen Michael. Sarah still seems happy enough, and it doesn't seem like Michael has ended things with her. I knew he probably wouldn't. But what can I say really? I can't tell him what to do, and I can't tell Sarah either. I just was being silly and imagined him finishing it with Sarah... and then I would leave Thomas. But I know it won't happen like that.

I finished work on Friday for Christmas break. We get a week off which is nice. Today is Christmas Eve, and it's the last day I am going to get a chance to go shopping. I wrap my scarf around my neck, and put on my coat. It's actually been snowing a little bit. I love it when it snows. I get in my car and drive in to town. It's going to be so busy. Maybe Christmas Eve isn't the best day to go shopping after all.

I park up and begin to shop for last minute presents. I buy Thomas a couple more, and Sarah a little something. I come across some funny novelty gifts. There's a minty mouth freshener that says anti sarcasm spray on the front of the can. I laugh and instantly think of Michael. Maybe I could get him it, just as a joke. Although he does actually need a real one of those. I buy it and then see some fedora hats... it reminds me when Michael wore his to the Christmas fair... he was so cute that night. Maybe I could buy him a new hat. I'm not sure why I am bothering because he probably wants nothing more to do with me after I pushed him away again. I find one I like and buy it anyway. The shops are closing up early today, so I quickly get a few last bits and head back to my car.

On the way home I decide to drive back a different way, so I can see if that house down my street has been sold. I wonder if Michael is working today. He probably won't be on Christmas Eve. Deep down I'm hoping he is. I really want to see him. I drive down the street and there are a couple of cars outside of the house that's up for sale. I drive slowly past it and see the front door open. It's Michael, with what looks like a couple viewing the house. I drive away without Michael seeing me. I drive to my house and park up. I get out and stand looking up the street. The sun is starting to go down and it's got a lot colder all of a sudden. I find myself beginning to walk up the street, towards the for sale sign. I see Michael chatting away with the couple, smiling. He shakes their hands and then walks over to the for sale sign. Michael catches me walking up. The couple walk over to their car and drive off. I get to the house and stand watching Michael taking down the for sale sign.

"You sold it." I say feeling a bit shaky from the cold air.

"Yeah." Michael says turning his head looking at me. "Finally." I can see his breath through the cold air.

"It's getting really cold now." I say rubbing my hands.

Michael let's out a soft laugh, putting up a sold sign.

"Yeah... it's Christmas. It usually gets cold around this time of year." He smirks.

I roll my eyes and smile slowly.

"Yeah. I forgot that." I say sarcastically.

"What's with the small talk anyway?" Michael asks walking over to his car, putting in the for sale sign. "Want more advice about putting your house up for sale or something?" Michael makes a dig at me.

"No..." I say folding my arms.

"What is it then?" Michael sniffs from the cold and smiles. His cheeks are red. Why does he look so cute...

"It's Christmas Eve and it's freezing. Do want to come to mine for a hot drink or something? You can't be working late on Christmas Eve..?"

Michael pauses, staring at me. He grins.

"Is this like something from the movie Scrooge? Have you been visited by the three ghosts?"

I make a face and shake my head laughing.