Five

Seven years earlier

"Stop licking your teeth, Audi."

I stop doing my math homework to scowl at Lucas who is sitting on my bed. "It feels strange, okay? You did the same thing after you got your braces removed."

"I know, but you're distracting me."

"So don't look at me and mind your own beeswax," I say, throwing my eraser at him.

He chuckles and throws it back at me. "Do you think it's weird that we hang out so much?"

I consider his question. I've thought about it many times before. "Sometimes. Why? Are your guy friends giving you shit for it?"

He shrugs, but I know that's the reason he's asking. I guess it's a bit weird for two fourteen-year-olds of different genders to be as close friends as we are, but I think we never had a choice. Both of us are the only children of our families, and my mom and his dad are partners in a law firm, so we were kind of thrown together as kids. Elwood & Mori. I always thought it had a nice ring to it.

"You can always go hang out with them. You won't hurt my feelings," I tell him.

"I'd rather hang out with you. You're prettier to look at and smell nicer."

I almost choke on a Skittle. I grab one and throw it at him.

He laughs and pops it in his mouth. "I thought you weren't sharing."

I scowl at him again, but he just grins at me.

"So are you going to go out with Brian?" he asks.

I roll my eyes at him. "He just gave me a rose for Valentine's Day, Lucas. It's not a big deal."

"Well, he obviously likes you," he says, sounding somewhat upset.

I shrug my shoulders. "It doesn't matter."

"Why not?"

Because I like you.

Of course, there's no way I'm saying that out loud. "How is this your business again?" I ask, trying to deflect my real answer as my traitorous cheeks turn red.

"Fine," he replies. "Are you done with your homework yet? You always take forever."

"Maybe I wouldn't if a certain someone stopped interrupting me. But to answer your question—yes, I'm almost done."

"Here—just copy the rest of mine. I want to watch a movie with you," he says, tossing me his notebook.

I sigh, wanting to throw another object at him, but I'm running out of options. I tell myself it's only three more problems as I copy down his perfectly written answers. I've always liked that he's smart and isn't afraid to show it.

He settles down next to me once I've finished. He pulls me towards him like he usually does when we watch movies together. I don't remember exactly when it started, but it's the only time we're ever physical with each other. I just know that I love being with him like this.

After taking the longest time to decide, we finally pick a movie. It's a children's film, and surprisingly, I have tears in my eyes within the first ten minutes. Lucas calls me out for being a big baby, but the truth is, I never cry, and he knows it. Maybe he just doesn't know how to handle my tears.

He proves me wrong by wiping them away, then pulling me into his chest. His warmth instantly surrounds me, and I feel stupid for crying like this over a movie. I move away from him, but he doesn't let me go too far.