A Stranger in the Dark

The true mysteries of the world are visible, not invisible...

The paper boat sailed gracefully as it rushed through the current of the flooded pathway making small splashes as it turned corners and swerved over bumpy waves.

Georgie grinned happily as he chased the S.S Georgie down the street and laughed cheerfully as he ran through the rain. The feeling of droplets on his raincoat falling onto his face felt refreshing and cool; it was much better than being kept in a stuffy house with nothing to do except play board games he decided.

Georgie's smile faded a little as he remembered his older brother Billy being stuck in bed with nothing to do, he wished he wasn't sick anymore so he and Billy could play and make more boats to race with..

Georgie mentally shook his head from his thoughts and tried to focus back on his boat as he quickly ducked under an orange barricade only to suddenly slam into another one that he didn't notice before.

"Ow.." Georgie winced and stood up shakily, trying to be a "big boy" as his mum would put it. Georgie stood up and spotted the S.S Georgie floating down the other side of the road.

Georgie briskly followed his little boat and ignored the pulsating sting coming from his head.

Suddenly the little boat rushed through the water faster and Georgie realized that his boat was picking up speed; it was going so fast, too fast for poor little Georgie's legs.

The boat didn't seem to be slowing down as it came across a current leading into the sewer drain. Georgie tried to run faster and was almost about to reach his boat when it buckled and fell deep into the underground.

"NO!" Georgie cried, "Bills gonna kill me.."

Georgie coward a little knowing that Billy wasn't going to be very happy if he had lost the paper boat that he had been working hard on all morning for him.

Georgie grimaced and knelt down on his hands and knees, slowly peeking through the sewer tunnel to see if he could spot even a fraction of his tiny boat.. But to no avail, it was gone and now he had to explain to Billy what happened, he was going to be so disappointed.

Georgie sighed and was about to leave after one last look when suddenly a clown popped up out of nowhere with a huge smile on his face.

"Ahh!" Georgie yelped as he fell backwards from the sewer drain surprised.

"Hiya Georgie.." It spoke. "What a nice boat. Do you want it back?"

Georgie stared at the clown hesitantly and looked into his eyes.

They're like mums eyes

"Um, yes please.." Georgie asked politely.

"It" grinned at the response and retracted his hand down by its side still clutching the boat.

"Whats a nice boy like you doing out here in the rain alone?" It's asked.

Georgie swallowed and looked at the clown hesitatantly. He quickly glanced over the houses to see if anyone else was watching. There wasn't strangely.

"I- I was just playing," Georgie spoke quietly. "but I accidentally hit my head on a road sign and I couldn't keep up with her."

"Her?" Pennywise asked confused.

"Yeah, my boat. You call boats "she". That's what my brother says anyway." Georgie said happily.

I thought grown ups knew everything?

Pennywise didn't say anything as he continued to stare at the small boy curiously.

"So what are you doing in the sewer then?" Georgie asked.

Pennywise, who was lost in his own world quickly turned towards Georgie and smiled. 

"The storm blew me away, blew the whole circus away. All the rides, popcorn and balloons.."

"Balloons?" Georgie asked.

"Well, we can't have a circus without balloons can we? But yes, I've been down here all alone for a very, very long time."

Georgie looked at the clown sympathetically, trying to imagine how lonely the clown must feel everyday in a dark, smelly place. Georgie smiled sadly and sat up on his knees.

"I'm sorry. That sounds awful." Georgie said. "I wish I could help.."

Pennywise stopped and stared silently at the boy as his smile was slowly dropping into a blank stare. This small boy was.. apologizing?

"I should get going now. Billy's probably worried." Georgie spoke softly. "I hope we can see each other again mister..?"

"P- Pennywise."

Georgie smiled and looked towards Pennywise's hand and paused.

"You can keep her if you want. The boat I mean.. Maybe you'll feel less lonely with her company.. Bye mister Penny."

Georgie stood up and started running up the road, quickly glancing at the drain once more. He will have to come back again soon he thought to himself.

What a strange clown..

______________________________________________________

Pennywise watched as Georgie sprinted up the road making small splashes follow behind him, he stared until he was out of sight and growled lowly, glaring at the horizon as he sunk deep into the sewer still holding the frail boat in his massive hands.

"StUPid bOy.."  Pennywise seethed, furious he let his first meal run away.

"I'll be more prepared next time." Pennywise promised himself as he brushed the boat over with his thumb thoughtfully.

This will be fun...

________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you guys for reading! More coming soon! :)