Into the Pit

I must have dozed off because I was being rudely awakened by nurse Lee. He was new, so he tried to make a difference in our lives still, he tried really hard to make sure everyone was clean and bathe before he left, he worked seven days a week. I'm not sure how long he will last, I hope it will be for a while, my fellow inmates need his care. I just hope for his sake, his soul doesn't get burned or lost to this place.

 As we walked to the eating area, I started getting more and more pissed off at how many people have lost their lives and souls to this place. Lee must feel me tense because he squeezes ever so slightly. I steal a glance, I'm sure someone out there thinks he's attractive the ring on his finger proves me right.

He lets me choose where to sit in the dining room, most of us do not get that privilege. Then again most of them are just savages; mindless empty shells of the people they once were. I sit by myself towards the front of the room near the door, I like to rush out of here. It is not a pretty sight watching all these people eat.

I think today's breakfast is supposed to be pancakes, eggs, and oatmeal but the eggs aren't really cooked all the way so it's really disgusting and runny, and the pancake is soggy. Thankfully, the oatmeal is instant, so they can't really mess it up. I eat my oatmeal quickly, not bothering with the rest.

 I like to get to the Pit before everyone else does. I do not really like large groups; which is why I am almost always at the Pit during the day as part of my treatment and all.  Wondering what "group" is going to be about, it's not really a group session though.

None of the patients say anything, so all the Dr. does is talk and lecture. Sometimes he shares about himself and rambles at times. I think he just likes to hear himself talk, or needs someone to talk to.

Every once in a while he will pick one person and ask them hundreds of questions. Since we have nothing else to do here, he can make the session be as long as he wants most of the time it's two hours, but he has gone up to four hours. I'm trying to please the Dr. so I make sure I am early for every group.

I sit in the chair that's not quite in the middle but not close to the end either, I don't want to be sitting next to Dr. Hayes. There are only twelve chairs or so.

After about half an hour or so people start being brought in, the chairs start to fill up rather quickly. Stinky Stan and Biter Mia sit next to me, just fucking great; Stan smells like five-month-old garbage mixed with a sweaty old gym sock.

He doesn't bathe, even when given the chance, he is afraid of water to an extreme point. Stan is a really big guy too like I barely reach his shoulders tall. He has brownish hair, or maybe it's just that dirty, he keeps it pulled back into a dreaded ponytail.

Mia the biter doesn't offend really, she just likes to bite people, if that wasn't obvious. Even has her teeth shaped into points, it's rumored she bit her husband's throat out and that's why she is here.

I openly stare at her. Who's going to stop me? No one cares.

She was probably really pretty when she could take good care of herself, you can still see a hint of that beauty with the shape of her face and body. I think her hair used to be a very pretty shade of red before it dulled out and started to gray. 

The rest of the regulars start to show up; Bill, Jeff, Martha, Sue, the guy whose name I have never been able to remember, the old lady called Mother, Mr. Creepy; he has never said a word to anyone, and he rarely looks at people, the one time he did look at me my skin crawled.

The new girl is the last to show up, I have yet to learn her name, she ends up with the seat next to Dr. Hayes. Speak of the devil, he comes strolling into the Pit and takes his seat.