Detmer's Karma

Fuck. Me. Sideways.

Keyla Detmer maintained her composure as she left the briefing room, determined to make it back to her quarters before she shouted obscenities and broke the least-valuable thing she owned.

Commander Saru had been his usual vaguely-obsequious self when he explained the mission to her, and Keyla had done her best to nod, show that she understood what was being asked of her, and not to scream at a Universe which seemed determined to have a joke at her expense. Yes, it was a very delicate operation. Yes, she would have to thread a very fine needle to facilitate the insertion and exfil. And yes, she would also have to back up Michael Burnham, since there was no possibility for a security team.

Just the two of them. Oh joy.

At the conclusion of the briefing Saru had stepped out from behind the table and tilted his head in that way he did when he was trying to relate to another species in an unguarded manner. The small gesture and the awkwardness she knew it must have brought him always made her want to hug him for encouragement.

"Lieutenant...Keyla...I understand if you're feeling some...trepidation toward working with Commander Burnham. I confess that it is not always easy for me to serve alongside her, either. We lost so much with the Shenzhou, but you have borne that loss most pronouncedly. "

Keyla turned her head instinctively to hide the damaged side of her face, remembered it was Saru that she was talking to and blushed in embarrassment.

"If you are not comfortable with this assignment, I'm sure I could speak to Captain Lorca..."

"No," Keyla shook her head. "Thank you, Saru, but you don't have to do that for me. It's just a few hours in a shuttlecraft."

Saru blinked his large, turquoise eyes, and his lipless, fishlike mouth twisted into his own approximation of a smile. "You are a good officer, Lieutenant Detmer."

And for a moment, Keyla felt a stab of nostalgia for the past aboard the Shenzhou, not so long gone, but forever out of reach, when they were a family.