An Open Letter to the College Board

Dear College Board,

I strongly dislike the SAT, and I can say with confidence that around 50 to 75 percent of all American high schoolers can identify with me--have you all noticed the ACT statistics lately? This is because your SAT questions are ridiculously subjective and apply complicated wording to simple problems. Moreover, the SAT is completely unrealistic and does not accurately represent actual college or workplace conditions. Do you disagree? Then I'd politely ask you all to consider when a person in the real world would actually need to write a complete, "well-written" essay under 50 minutes, or analyze a reading passage to reach a biased opinion or inaccurate "inference" in around 10 minutes.

It is incredibly heartbreaking when being accepted into your dream school rides on the results of a four-hour long exam. An exam that you took when you had crippling depression and test anxiety. An exam that you took after practicing for two years--TWO YEARS--and getting perfect and near-perfect scores of official released SATs (administered under timed conditions) ... all amounting to what score on the actual test? Perhaps a measly 1520, a score well below average for the top schools you're aiming for.

I find it pathetic that you all at the College Board parade your institution as a "non-profit organization" yet make millions yearly, and that students are forced to use your exams to get into college.

Just a few months ago, I had high hopes to perform well on this exam, and I would vehemently argue with others who thought that the ACT trumped the SAT. Now, however, I see the SAT for what it really is: a thinly-veiled economic scheme.

Thank you, College Board, for revealing your true nature.

Sincerely,

A Disillusioned Student