The Hound's Tale

Author's Note:

Ok, I haven't read the original Odyssey but I have read many interpretations of it like "Tales From The Odyssey" by Mary Pope Osborne.

While reading it, I was deeply moved by the loyalty of Argos, Odysseus's dog and suddenly this story popped up in my mind. This is a story written for him. R.I.P Argos. :'(

Warning: Not everything in this story is true. Some were invented and some were taken from the Odyssey itself (at least on the interpretations I had read).

---

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."

-Josh Billings

--

Another day had passed and still Odysseus, his master had not return, the old dog thought while lying quietly on the pile, a mountain of manure and rubbish. No matter how terrible this pile smelt and how itchy his body was because of the fleas, he still kept quiet and watched as feet of different strangers passed by, not even taking a glance. If only they knew, that the old dog, lying quietly at that corner was once a great one, the favorite of the king.

Closing his brown eyes, he thought of the past memories engraved in his mind.

A little puppy was walking around the streets of Ithaca. He was alone, with no one beside him. He was lost, not knowing where to go.

"Hey, watch where you're going!"

"Get out of here you filthy little puppy!"

These were two of the many responses he got while travelling. He was always unwanted, displeased by the people. The small dog found a box fit for his size and went in it to spend another night. Tomorrow morning, he'll resume his journey.

Before he could sleep, someone opened the lid of the box. Dark brown eyes met the dog's brown ones.

"Hey little one," the girl said as she scooped the puppy with her hands. "What are you doing here all alone? Where's your owner?" The dog just shook his head and the girl instantly understood.

"Come on," she said as she turned her head, waves of ultra black hair framed her face. The girl carried the puppy in her hands and took care of him. It was one of the best days of his life but then, the girl's family will migrate somewhere on Asia (Southeast) and the puppy was left alone again.

"I'm so sorry," the girl said as tears flowed down her tanned face. "If only I can bring you with me, I will."

The puppy put his head on the girl's knees, whimpering softly. This just made the girl cry harder. She scratched him behind the ears and said, "Don't worry, sweetheart. You'll always be in my prayers and I shall never forget you. I know that this is quite impossible but I promise that you'll be a great dog someday and your name will never be forgotten for the great things you've done. You'll also find the master you'll serve all your life. It is truly unfortunate that it is not me, but one day you'll find him. I pray that Hecate be with you always, sweetheart. Take care."

Giving the puppy one last hug and kiss on his forehead, she left. And he was all alone once again.

Resuming his journey, the puppy walked around the busy streets, yearning for someone who'll accept him.

Many days had passed and he was growing hungry. His body was also itchy due to fleas.

Weeks then passed by and he was losing hope. It was better to die than suffer like this.