Chapter 8: The Poem

I woke up in the middle of the night two days after our amazing picnic. I was struggling to sleep for some reason, I had a weird dream again, actually it was more like a nightmare and I woke up in a puddle of my own sweat while you slept peacefully next to me. I caught my breath and sat up to look at you, I love watching you sleep, sometimes it feels creepy but I love it nonetheless.

Tiptoeing around our room, resisting the urge to kiss and wake you up for some strokes, my morning wood protesting this decision while it struggled to be freed from my boxers. "No!" I said in a stern whisper while I glanced at it menacingly.

Your phone suddenly rang but it stopped before I could answer it, "who's calling you at 3:25 AM anyway?" I thought to myself.
"Private number" flashed across the screen as it rang but they hung up before I could answer, "Six missed calls" , Odd. I brushed it off thinking I'd ask you about it when you woke up.

I threw on my robe and headed to the kitchen, barefoot, pad and pen in my hand; I decided to write a little poem for you. I'm going to place it in the fridge (yes, inside) so you'd be pleasantly surprised when you swung the door open, these Boyfriend Olympics weren't going to win themselves.

We wrote each other letters and poems randomly, it was our thing, come to think of it, it has been a while since I last read any from you. Perhaps school is wearing you out, it's been hectic for the both of us. I love writing, it's therapeutic, I love poetry, art, music and I especially love making music because it's my core and some day I'd love to pursue it as a career.

You always encourage me to follow my dreams and this makes me appreciate you even more. You're my personal cheerleader and I'm your hype-man, your mascot. "Team Keletso!" I always say playfully as I admire you admiring yourself in front of the mirror, indecisive about an outfit; "Work it girl, your boyfriend is one lucky guy, look at that curve, I mean your smile, not your ass", you giggle and I dodge the pillow you throw at me, while I snap picture after picture with our Polaroid camera, shaking the pictures about so they develop properly. I continue with the compliments, turning your cheeks into a cute shade of scarlet.

You are my life. You think these pictures are just random but there's a method to my madness, come our anniversary, you'll understand.

Roses are red, violets are bl..."Nope", [sound of crumbling paper]

"Ever since I met you my life has changed for the be...[more crumbling paper, followed by a deep sigh]. I knew what I wanted to say just not how to say it.

I decided to go back to our bedroom to draw some inspiration, perhaps looking at you would spark the fire I desperately needed to put pen to paper. As I inched closer to our bedroom I heard your voice but you were whispering. My eyes widened, horror on my face as I caught the last few sentences.
"Do you know what he'd do if he found out? It's our anniversary soon, it would crush him.I think he's coming, I'll call you back later".
I felt like I had been punched in the stomach, could the girl of my dreams be cheating on me? Why? It's our anniversary in two weeks. The questions were making my head spin. I went back to the kitchen and got a glass of water, "where did you sneak off to?" as I entered our bedroom, "the moon" I spat sharply.

You giggled at what you thought was playful sarcasm, not picking up the malice in that statement.
05:30, you dosed off and I didn't catch a wink of sleep. Doubt was a foreign feeling when it comes to you, what could you possibly be hiding? I hope it's not what I think it is.