Chapter 7

The Blueprint

I've been staring at the hands of the wall clock inside the room while pretending to listen to whatever the teacher has been babbling about in our history class. Something about the Gambia and how it was fought over by the British and the French. Whatever.

All I know is that the longer I stare, the slower time gets. This is the final class of the day, and the 'SAT study group' has a meeting after this. Yeah, to avoid suspicions, we tell everybody that the reason we misfits are being seen together is because we are having review sessions for the upcoming SAT. Smart, right? I know. That was my idea.

Bell rings.

Yes! Finally.

I glanced at Kim, and he gave me a nod. We stood and headed to the library where we're supposed to wait for the others. Copter and Bas belong to the top class, no doubt, while Kim and I, to the not-so. Tae is in another section as well. Thankfully, we don't have shop today otherwise we'd have to wait until 5PM.

We arrived at the library and went straight to our chosen area. Surprisingly, Bas is already there reading some books with someone who we already encountered before.

"That guy again." I whispered to Kim.

With lips pursed and forehead wrinkled, he ignored what I said and walked hurriedly to the table. He stood right in front of the two who are seated across from each other. He crossed his arms but didn't say anything. Instead, he coughed as if making his presence felt.

Bas was obviously startled, but the guy in front of him remained composed.

Kim looked at Bas then to the guy and back to Bas again. No words are needed because Kim's actions simply meant 'what is he doing here?'

"Kim! Errrmm. He's only here to keep me company while waiting for you guys."

"Well, we're here now."  Kim uttered in derision.

Bas looked at the guy and said,

"Thanks Joss. I'll see you in class tomorrow." he said and smiled while pushing his eyeglasses up his nose.

"No biggie. Just send a message when you get home." replied Joss.

Bas nodded and waved goodbye to Joss who stood and gathered his stuff on the table and walked away quietly. Kim took the seat that Joss left empty and looked at Bas as though interrogating him.

"You'd better keep your boyfriend away from our plan." he warned Bas.

I sat beside Kim and put my bag on the table. I have no plans of interrupting Kim grilling the little nerdy boy who now looks edgy.

"He's not my boyfriend!" Bas said while shifting his gaze from Kim to me and back to Kim again.

This looks funny.

"Never mind." Kim uttered.

"Really, he's not."

For a second, i thought i saw Kim grinned before saying, 

"My point is... you'd better not say a word to him about any of this. Got it?"

"Got it."

I don't like this atmosphere, so I tried changing the topic.

"Where the hell are those guys? They all confirmed coming, right?" I asked but without directing my question to either one of them.

Bas checked his phone and said, "Copter's on his way."

"Why are you here early by the way?" Kim asked Bas.