Black and White

(word count: 581)

  When I first met her, I knew she was the one. My parents would always talk about love as seeing the world in a new way, but I thought they meant that figuratively. No.

  The day I met Felicity, I was unknowingly investigating a case of mirakuru. We instantly hit it off. I thought she was incredibly likeable, and I could see myself going on a few dates with her. Then we made contact. The world around me instantly changed into an array of colors. I never thought it would have been that beautiful. I never thought anyone could look so beautiful.

  I hadn't said anything to her at the time. I was in a different city, she was assisting a vigilante, plus I didn't think any of it it was really happening.

  As time grew on, I began to forget what the brightness of the world looked like and my vision was beginning to dull. Then she came again. Her skirt still looked grey to me, but I ignored it. Eventually I got a minute with her.

  "Barry, what is this about? The rouges are still out there," her voice was unusually gruff.

  "I know, there's just something I need to ask you to do," I pleaded with my eyes.

  I could almost hear a groan on her voice as she asked me what the favor was.

  "I need you to hold up your hand. Like- like this," I demonstrated.

  She resentful held her hand, palm facing me, up in front of herself. I took a deep breath. My shaky hand rose and slowly met hers. I raised my eyebrows and smiled at her. I looked at her with a slightly smaller smile. She didn't look nearly as happy as I undoubtedly did.

  "What's the matter? Don't- don't you see it," I asked, my eyebrows met and my slightly frayed smile.

  "See what Barry," she looked at me like I was crazy, and yet she didn't move her hand.

  "The c- colors."

  "What colors," she asked with a shrug. "Maybe we should have Caitlin take a look at you."

  "No. I don't need Caitlin right now, I need... I need you."

  "What are you talking about, Barry? You're starting to scare me," Felicity's hand fell to her side.

  "I- the colors-," Barry struggled to get the words out. He took a deep breath before continuing at a slow pace. "When I was younger, my parents would tell me about love, and how when they touched-"

  "The world would change into beautiful colors," Felicity finished.

  Barry gave her the most relieved smile he could.

  "Yeah, I know about that story," she still had a guilty look on her face. "But I don't have that with you. I have it with..."

  "With Oliver," when he spoke she could hear his heart breaking to a thousand tiny pieces in his voice. "It's fine. You two have a great thing for each other, and you don't keep it very subtle. You love Oliver, and he- he loves you back."

  Both of their eyes swelled up with tears, but nether of them were willing to let them fall in front of the other. Felicity put her hand up and tried to get Barry to touch hers. He instead left his own hand at his side.

  "Please, Barry," her voice strained.

  He turned and walked out of the room, letting his vision fall back into black and white as his gentle tears slid down his cheeks.