Chapter Six

Steve walked along the slim pavement of his new neighbourhood, watching as his neighbours jog past him on their nightly runs. He gives them each a tired smile as the greet him. He just finished his 4 hour shift at the hospital that his mother works at, he's been volunteering their since he was young because he loved the feeling helping someone in need, he loved  cheering all the sick patients and helping the younger residents with any worries.

It was 11 o'clock pm on a school night and steve was struggling to keep his eyes open as he made his way to the front of his house, searching for the keys in his jacket pocket. Finding them, he unlocked the door and threw his bag to the side. His house was dark and quiet since his mother was till at the hospital. Ever since they got kicked out of their last home because the rent was late, His mother decided it was a good idea to take on the night time shift as well as her regular daytime shift so she could earn just that little bit extra. Although Steve has told her countless times that he can help pay for the expenses with the one he earns from his new part time job at the local cafe, but he always receives the same reply 'a mother should be able to handle raising her young on her own'.

Steve stood in the hallway for a second while he checked his phone notifications for anything important.

50+ unread messeges from Bucky

Steve had just given Bucky his number this morning and he had already gotten so many texts from his friend. But it made Steve feel warm inside knowing that even though they hadn't seen each for 5 years or so that they could start right back where they left off, as best friends, as brothers.

Steve decided to not reply to Bucky this late even though the boy would still be awake either being yelled at for not being asleep by his mother or just playing video, nothing important.

Steve made his way to the kitchen, trying to squeeze through all the unpacked boxes that have been stuffed into various rooms. He then opened up the cupboard doors and let put a sigh as his eyes scanned the contents. He decided to whip up some spaghetti and leave a bowl of it in the microwave for his mother to have a quick meal when she got home.

After eating and washing up, Steve made his way to his room and groaned, he finally gets to rest after his long day at school and the hospital. He plugs his phone into the charger by his bed which he then flops onto the comfy mattress with a yawn.

The next day

Beep beep

Steve groans as he sits up, opening his eyes just enough to see his alarm clock so he can shut it up. He reads his clock and sighs
5:15am

Steve rolls out of bed and unplugs his phone, luckily no more text spams from bucky or anyone else for that matter. He slowly shuffles sleepily over to his closet and grabs a pair and tracksuit pants and a random hoodie and quickly slips them on.

Steve opens his bedroom door slowly hoping to not wake his mother as he slips his phone into his pocket and exits his house. It's starting to become colder, especially since it's still earlier hours of the morning, but it's winter time which means Steves going to what to jog faster to keep up his body temperature against the chilly whether.

He begins his jog down the street and turns a corner making his way to the closest park. He begins running down the path past many other people participating in their own early mornibg routines.

"Rogers!"

Steve quickly turns his head and to his surprise he sees a smiling Sam who is standing by a park bench which is occupied by a familiar body laying down taking up the whole seat. Steve makes his way to his new friend with a smile across his tired face.