Chapter 14

Eamon saddled Niamh and led her to the door. Catriona came outside, carrying a bag full of shawls she had knitted.

            "There's not as many this time," Catriona said ruefully. She handed the bag to Eamon, who slung it over Niamh's back.    

            "Never mind," Eamon consoled. "I'll sell as many as I can." He climbed into the saddle and looked down at Catriona. "Don't be worried if it's late when I get back."

            Catriona nodded. "I won't be worrying." She looked Eamon over from head to toe and frowned. "Why do you have your pistols?"

            Eamon hesitated, then quickly made up an answer. "I don't want to be robbed on the way home." That is about as far from the truth as you could get, Eamon.

            Catriona seemed to accept his explanation. "Sure, I wouldn't want to be robbed, either. I'm wishing Tadhg was going with you."

            Eamon grunted in agreement. "I'm wishing that, too." His friend had been busy in his married life. Tadhg had ridden out with Eamon only a few times in the month since his wedding. Eamon missed Tadhg's company and lighthearted talk.

            "I'll invite them for supper some night soon." Catriona smiled and placed her hand on Eamon's knee. "Hurry back."

            "I will." Eamon grinned and started down the road.

***

            Attymass was less busy than when Eamon and Tadhg had last visited the town. Eamon felt more conspicuous as he rode into the town on Niamh's back. People gave him a wide berth, going out of their way to avoid Niamh.

            Eamon dismounted and picked a spot to lay out the shawls Catriona had made. He again wished that Tadhg was with him. Tadhg could always find the best places for selling.

            Nonsense! I should be able to do just as well as Tadhg! Eamon paused and glanced around the street. Think about it in terms of the road. If this were the road, where would you hide? There were several alleyways that would make adequate hiding places. But you don't need to hide. You need to be seen. What place has the most people? The pub, of course.

            Eamon led Niamh to the pub, where he tied the horse to a hitching post. Instead of hiding, you need to be out in the open. He chose a spot across from the pub where he could see everyone who left or entered, and they could see him. Now comes the waiting. Eamon sighed resignedly and seated himself against the edge of a building.

***

            Business was slow. Very slow. It's like waiting for Christmas, Eamon grumbled to himself as he sat by the shawls. The people were simply not buying. Eamon rested his chin in his hand and propped his elbow on his knees.

            A figure across the street caught Eamon's eye. He sat up straight and stared. A girl with red-gold hair was walking towards the pub, arm in arm with a young man with fiery red hair. Is that Orla?

            It was Orla. She stopped at the door of the pub, letting the red-headed man go in without her. She smiled to herself, then continued down the street. Suddenly she looked up and locked eyes with Eamon. Her smile faltered, then reappeared, and this time her mouth tilted upward mischievously.

            Eamon froze. He held his breath, unsure whether he should maintain eye contact or look away. If it were any other girl, I would wink at her. He wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do in this situation. Oh, well. He winked and gave her a smile, but was unsure what to do next. Orla solved his dilemma by deliberately tossing her hair, squaring her shoulders, and walking further down the street.