Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

Ringer

Toby is acting different today, I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not.

"Do you want whatever's left from the rabbit from last night?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'll split it evenly with you," I answered.

"I'm not hungry," he said.

"Did I give you a choice as to whether you get to eat or not?" I replied defiantly. "As much as you aren't hungry, you still need the energy for the trek ahead."

Toby rolled his eyes at me and reluctantly took the strip of meat from my hands.

We ate in silence.

☢☢☢

"My feet hurt," I whined.

"We must keep moving," Toby replied.

The sun was baking our backs. If we still had eggs, or chickens for that matter, I bet I could cook an omelet on the pavement.

"Look, the highway! I can see the turnpike!" I exclaimed.

"It looks like it's only a few miles up ahead. I bet if we follow it, we might be able to find a car and siphon out some gas," Toby said.

"Good thinking. Now, aren't you glad you ate that meat earlier?" I said sarcastically.

He sighed and said, "Yeah, I guess you're right."

About another hour or so in, we finally made it to the turnpike. Thankfully, none of Them heard us, and we were able to sneak past with no problems.

We found an empty trailer hitch and shut the door. We started a small fire, ate some rations we found along the way, and slowly drifted off into our dreams.