12

There was no way this could be happening

There was no way this could be happening. I jumped out of bed and sprinted towards my bathroom mirror, the entire world spinning around me. I looked to see my neck bruised, in the shape of someone grabbing my neck. I began to cry for no reason, shaking, and falling to the floor on my knees. I felt my world around me weaken.

"Kalani? Oh my gosh." Chloe asked, running to my almost lifeless body and gathering my mess into a hug.

Just then, Chloe's phone buzzed loudly from its resting place on my bed. "Come on, Lani. Maybe you can lay down." She walked with me to my bed, and I sat down while she checked her phone to see who had texted her. "Actually, Kalani, I'm afraid there's no time to rest. They're calling us over to Nia's. Can you do that?"

I nodded yes, and we began to change, I wore a black turtleneck, covering my bruises. Meanwhile, Chloe changed back into her clothes and we headed to Nia's, with Chloe at the wheel, because I was in no condition to drive.

After we had all gotten there, we all sat in silence for a second, tears in my eyes. "We have to talk about this, guys." Paige said bleakly, not teary eyed, considering she hated Maddie and most of her doings.

"She's gone. She's actually gone." I said, feeling a tear slide down my cheek.

"Yeah." Lukasiak sighed. "I just... can't believe it." She became teary eyed as well, and Paige wrapped her skinny arms around her, Chloe burying her face in Paige's shoulder.

"This really isn't the time, Paige." I suddenly said loudly, leaving everyone shocked by my sudden change in tone and volume.

"T-Time for what?"

"Maddie just died and all you care about is trying to get Chloe to be yours. All yours. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you asked your mommy and daddy to pay for those officers to kill Maddie." I spat out every word like it was venom. Everyone had looked at me shocked, they'd never seen me that mad. Paige didn't even bother looking mad, she was more shocked than mad. Even Lukasiak, who was crying into Paige's shoulder, had looked up and stared at me with a scared facial expression, her eyes red. I got up and went outside, trying to cool myself off. It was safe to say, I was pissed. Paige didn't even care about Maddie, I mean, I get it, she hates her, but she didn't even try to show respect, all she did was try to swoop in and be there for Chloe, which normally wouldn't be wrong if she had shown at least some respect.

East had come outside to comfort me and talk to me. I guess you could say she was the closest one to me in the group, I didn't believe in best friends. After many mishaps, the phrase 'best friends' had lost all its meaning to me.

I honestly felt that East would hate me the most, that we wouldn't get along at all, but in the end, she was the only one who cared about me.

          While we were outside, we see a pink convertible pull up to us from down the street. "Who the hell...?" I trailed off, watching the pretty girl hop out of the driver's seat. She smacked her gum loudly, and if I was being honest, it felt like I was looking at a mirror version of East. Well, the 'old East,' I guess?

            "Who the hell are you?" I said, ready to pull this girl's hair out of her head if I had to. Everyone knew they couldn't step on our turfs, like our houses and our hangout spot at school.

             "Excuse me, who are you? Actually, who do you think you are to talk to me like that?" I hear a door shut behind me and I could already tell that the girls had come outside to defend us.

             "Um, who do you think you are? Talking to one of us like that?" I️ could hear Bostyn's voice pipe from the back.

             "I'm Annie LeBlanc." She blew a bubble. "And that over there," She pointed to a blonde in the passenger's seat. "is Lauren Orlando. We've heard that you guys have been messing around with her brother. Which one of you is Mackenzie Ziegler?" She said Mackenzie's name dramatically, way too dramatic for our taste.

              I knew Mackenzie really didn't want to deal with this so-called Annie, so I spoke up. "I'm Mackenzie, what're you gonna do about it?"

               "You're coming with us, I'm sure Maisy and Lauren have a few things they wanna say to you." She tried to grab my arm, but I swatted her away like a fly.

               "Just because I hung around Johnny?" I cocked an eyebrow, feeling threatening.

               The girl let out a laugh. "How cute! Look at you trying to be all threatening! That's adorable, isn't it, Laur?" She called out to the blonde in the passenger's seat.

                "Yep." She smirked.

                "Look, alright? You better get the hell off of our property before me and my girls mess up your pretty little face." I waved my hand over her face.

                 "Oh, wow! You're so scary, I'm pissing myself!" She threw her head back, laughing. This chick was getting on my last nerve, I shoved her and she lost her balance, falling backwards, hitting her head on the hard pavement. I had decided that wasn't enough and actually messed up her pretty face, punching her in the jaw, then the nose.

                  "Okay, okay, Kalani! Someone help me get her off of her!" I could barely hear East in the back of my mind, my rage was making me deaf. I let all of my bottled up anger control me, all of my anger about Maddie, my messed up family, and all my problems go into beating up this girl I just met until she was bleeding.

                   I felt a bunch of arms grab me by the arms and pull me off of her and I began to scream and cry. "Why did she have to die?! Why?!" I sobbed.

                    "You're a freaking psycho!" Annie screamed, limping away.

                    "Annie, we have to get you to the hospital-"

                    "Drive, Lauren!-" I could only comprehend faint voices in the back of my head. I began to hyperventilate, my breaths becoming shorter, my tears coming faster and the last thing I heard before blacking out was East yelling, "Someone do something!"