~chapter one~

~see author's note for full disclaimer~

Once again, Nico was alone in Cabin 13. 

 Summer was ending, meaning Hazel and Frank were leaving, most of the Seven were off to either school or college, save Jason and Piper, who were attending a late-starting private school this year. Leo - damn him - was still missing. 

Of course, he was happy for them, happy that they had lives outside of fighting monsters, heading off on epic quests, and, oh, saving the world. After all the battles they'd fought, they deserved some time with each other and enjoy themselves before the next summer. 

Maybe Nico was a little jealous that he had no one else to simply be with and nowhere to go, but it was peaceful when he was alone. The charred, twisted trees around his cabin shifted and creaked in the wind, and the leaves rattled as they swayed. 

It was a typical nightmare, with the shadows lapping against the walls and the iron-cast chandeliers dangling from the ceiling, but for Nico, this was home. He'd never felt safe anywhere else, without Bianca, at least. 

Wrapping his pale arms around his legs, Nico stared out the window. Several lonely pattered down onto the drying grass. Everything was falling, collapsing slowly. 

And suddenly, the darkness didn't seem so friendly anymore. 

His panic and anger were interrupted by a knock on the door. "Nico? Are you in there?" 

"Come in, Jason," said Nico, tired. 

Will Solace stepped into the room, and Nico's heartbeat immediately fired up, ignoring the contrasting thoughts racing across his mind. Bright colors streaked across his heart, obliterating the creeping shadows. 

"Capture the Flag is starting in fifteen. You coming?" 

"Sorry, not this time."

He looked so damn adorable, standing in the doorway like a confused, hopeful puppy, that Nico just wanted to invite him in and hug him and tell him everything would be all right. 

"Come on, di Angelo. I want you on my team." 

"You do not," Nico warned him, heart pounding wildly. 

"You never come by to visit me, Neeks," Will pouted. "I could use some company in the hospital, you know. It gets a little lonely, all these half-dead demigods." 

"I don't think I make for good company." 

"You thought wrong." Will reached into the cabin and grabbed Nico's arm. "You don't want to miss out..." 

"All right, I'm coming," Nico grumbled, grabbing his sword from the ground and jumping up. 

Will beamed, pulling him out the door. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Adjusting his armor, Nico stared around the battlefield. Will was still standing next to him, fingers wrapped tightly around the sleek curve of his wooden bow. 

Jason Grace was standing with Piper McLean, swinging his sword around. He turned around, seeing Nico next to Will, and jabbed Piper in the shoulder so hard that his wire-framed glasses fell off. 

Turning away, Nico spotted Chiron standing at the rise of a small hill. "Today's match of Capture the Flag begins in a few moments. Adjust your armor, ready your swords- CHARGE!" 

He blew into a long, elegantly curved horn, the sound rippling boldly throughout the entire grounds of the camp and rustling the crisp, sunset-dappled fall leaves. 

"You take the river and hold off anyone trying to sneak around. I'll meet you there on the other side," Nico yelled over the noise. Will nodded quickly, then started running. Nico felt a small pang in his chest as he watched Will sprint away from him, then shook his head. 

He didn't like Will. They were just friends. Did Will even share his preferences? 

Shrugging off his unwelcome thoughts, he sneaked around the forest line towards the river. He was just about to splash into the water when Butch and Clovis jumped him. 

"Come on," he complained, turning around and raising his sword. "This is just a nuisance." 

Butch laughed. "Sorry, Nico. We haven't won in months. You would've known if you'd bothered to show up." 

Rolling his eyes, Nico parried Butch's strike. 

Then he saw the blue flag fluttering in the wind, just behind Clovis. His eyes widened, and he turned slightly. 

That was his mistake. Butch struck the edge of his sword blade against Nico's head, drawing blood. 

Swearing, Nico blocked the rest of his hits with his other arm, pushed Clovis aside, and grabbed the flag. 

He ran for a while, not knowing how long it took him, his vision blurred slightly. 

When he finally saw Will, he slowed, laughing under his breath, waving the flag in the air.

"Oh no, oh hell, you're bleeding, we have to get you back to camp," worried Will, supporting his weight with his arm. 

"I got the flag..." Nico mumbled, raising his arm. 

"I know, we won, but you're hurt," Will muttered, half-dragging, half-pulling Nico to the battlefield outside the forest. 

Jason laughed. "We won, Nico! You are amazing. Why don't you do this more often?" 

"Excuse me, Nico's hurt..." 

The last thing Nico saw was Will's concerned, beautiful face before he fell into a deep sleep.  

Ach, I'm sorry, that was quite long. Please comment and vote if you liked the chapter, and there's more on the way BECAUSE SOLANGELO.

~love, ivy~