Memory

He stopped caring about Birthdays.

Perhaps it was the fault of knowing what it was like to be disappointed on that specific time of the year.

On the day his father was sent to the correction facility, he had one less family member to celebrate it with him.

On the day his mother left the world, he had no reason to celebrate such an event.

Or so he thought.

Kougami managed to find a way to make up for his losses. A box or some wrapped up item would always be found on his desk whenever Ginoza was on duty on his birthday. One time it was a book. Another time it was a potted plant. One year after the remaining members of Division 3 had merged with Division 1, he found a bottle on his desk.

"You know the potential psycho hazards from alcohol don't you?" he chided at his friend (but necessarily harshly).

"It's not from me," Kougami said casually. "Pop's left that for you."

Ginoza looked at the empty desk where his father was designated to.

He knew that his father was off duty on that day specifically. Having to find out that his father had left a present for the first time in a long time had only brought a sense of doubt in his mind as he didn't know how to feel about it. But in the back of his mind, the little boy inside of him was secretly happy to know his father hadn't forgotten.

In his childhood days, there were nights where he would be awake in the dead of night and would witness his father pouring a portion of that distinct amber liquid onto a glass. The association of seeing his father consuming a glass of alcohol gave him a profile of how an adult should look like.

After his shift, Ginoza checked the monitor to see where his father was at. After being made aware that his father was in his quarters, he debated whether or not he should drop by for a visit.

He didn't really have a reason to. At the same time, he debated whether or not he should give the bottle back, knowing that the only thing he'll ever do was let it sit in the back shelf somewhere, collecting dust until the end of days.

He packed up his things and left the office, carrying with him the bottle bag alongside his suitcase. His thoughts continued to wander and debate whether he should really drop by for a visit. Before he knew it, he found himself in front of his father's quarters.

Why am I here again? He shook his head at how ridiculous he must have appeared.

"Could I try some?" he recalled his 8-year-old self asking his father.

"How about this," his father smirked as spoke. "By the time you turn 20, we'll go out and I'll buy you your first drink."

The memory that played itself out had given him enough reason to enter into his quarters.

"Gino?"

Ginoza turned around and saw Kougami walking along the hallway.

"Are you going in?" his friend asked him.

"...No," he shook his head. "I was just about to leave."

With that said, Ginoza turned his heel and walked towards the elevator.

Recalling that specific memory had only added another into the pile of regrets that he had after the events of that day when he lost his father for good.

A notification sang out that Inspector Tsunemori was at the front door.

He scoffed a little, knowing that inspectors have the right to enter into an enforcer's quarters whenever it pleases them. But by now he knew that despite the difference in rank and social status, she would still treat them with respect.