Chapter Twelve- Visitors

‘Auntie Hermione!’

Hermione’s face broke out into a wide smile as the two small boys flung themselves at her bed. Draco, dozing in the chair by the bed, abruptly sat up, eyeing the excited children with a frown. But his concern was unnecessary.

‘Hello, boys,’ Hermione cooed as the older one pressed several scrolls of parchment into her lap. ‘Thank you, erm…’ Draco mouthed the name over their heads. ‘-James. Thank you.’

‘I drew you a kangaroo and a car,’ said James, brightly. ‘And a broomstick so that you won’t have to get hurt again in a car.’

‘That’s a very smart idea. Thank you, James.’

‘Albus tried to draw you a picture too but he spilt pumpkin juice all over his. He cried about it all the way here.’ James pouted as the smaller boy sniffed and sucked his thumb sadly.

‘Thank you, Albus,’ Hermione whispered, and the little boy’s face lit up.

‘Now, Auntie Hermione-‘ James clambered up onto her bed and sat with his legs dangling over the edge. ‘Is it true you can’t remember anything that has ever happened?’

‘Er, no, James. I just can’t remember the last ten years.’

‘Ten years? But then, you can’t remember me!’ James looked aghast. ‘I’m only five.’

Mercifully, at this moment, Hermione was saved from yet more badgering by the arrival of Harry and Ginny.

‘Hermione.’ Harry leant down and hugged her gently with one arm; the other arm weighed down by cards and presents. ‘I’m so glad to see you.’ He gestured to the gifts. ‘Everyone was eager to send their love. Luna’s still trekking in the Himalayas but sent you a birthday present.’ They all turned to look at a small box that was rattling loudly.

‘It’s good to see you too.’ Hermione hugged him back, thrilled to see her oldest friend again. As she broke from the embrace, she glanced nervously to see Draco’s reaction to Harry but he was already up and fetching a spare chair. Ginny did not seem at ease with him; she took the chair wordlessly and shuffled herself closer to the bed. Harry however seemed comfortable with Malfoy, patting him on the back and asking him briefly about work.

‘Lily,’ Ginny said, bouncing a grumpy-looking red-headed baby on her knee. ‘Look, it’s Auntie Hermione.’

‘Lily?’ Hermione smiled at the baby. ‘Haven’t you got a pretty name?’ The baby merely glared back. Hermione looked up firstly at Ginny and then to Harry. ‘All three of them have… really beautiful names.’ At this point, James had slid down from the bed and was now bouncing boisterously with his brother around the room.

‘Boys,’ Ginny called. ‘Please quieten down.’ The boys stared at her blankly then carried on louder than before. She sighed and rubbed at her eyes wearily. ‘Lily’s teething. And James keeps wetting the bed.’

‘No I don’t!’ piped up James. ‘The poltergeist keeps doing it.’

‘I’m sorry we haven’t been round more often. Dad can’t babysit since he hurt his back trying to fix up your old car. He did say thank you though for sending him your healer’s old laptop.’ Mrs Weasley had been to visit with fudge and homemade cooking the day before.

‘Ginny,’ Hermione said. ‘Please. It’s fine. You both have so much on.’ Ginny smiled tiredly. ‘How’s work going, Harry?’

‘Good. A group of us managed to catch some dark wizards hiding out in Argentina,’ Harry said. Hermione shot another nervous look at Draco leaning against the wall, but he seemed unperturbed by this reference to ‘dark wizards’. ‘But it took us two months over there just to follow their trail. I would have come sooner-‘