18 - Animus

Chapter Eighteen

Day 4

Leila had been tired, hungry and scared when she arrived in Thrayston.

It had only been a few mile trek from Dinford but she had been in a hurry to escape and was paranoid she was being followed the whole way.

It had been getting late when she had run into Floyd and she was instinctively cautious of him. The events of the last few days had taught her not to trust anyone and Floyd had to talk her into accepting his help.

Taking her back to his crumbling ruin of a home they had sat by candle light whilst Leila told him her story.

Floyd had been horrified by the way she had been treated but not at all surprised. People did evil things in times of crisis and he knew it would only get worse the longer the world had no law and order.

She seemed completely distraught by the loss of her only friend to the villains that had held her captive and Floyd sensed she was close to giving up. He couldn't say that he blamed her, there wasn't much left for anyone to live for, but he also believed things would eventually get better.

He did his best to convince her but feared as they settled for the night that it would take more than a few kind words to lift her spirits.

It was a new day now and Floyd was heading back to the town hall as he had promised and he had convinced Leila to accompany him. One mention of radiation and she was as keen as him to leave.

However she was sure that if this town was contaminated everywhere she had been probably was too, but hoped that was not the case.

Floyd had told her of his plans to leave this town and move on to anywhere he believed to be safe. Leila had at this point told him of her desire to return to the farm house she had been abducted from. Floyd was a little confused as to why she would want to do that until she explained.

For the last day or so she had been unable to get the image of Joe lying lifeless on the kitchen floor out of her mind. She couldn't move on until she returned and laid him to rest. He didn't deserve to be left like that and she felt she owed him that much.

Floyd could understand that and agreed to help her with the task. But first he had to meet the others that wanted to join them at the town hall.

The town hall looked decayed, like it had fallen into disrepair years ago. Tiles were missing from the roof, even bricks and mortar had been blown away on large parts of the structure. It remained standing, but how long for was anybody's guess.

Floyd and Leila entered and made their way straight to the main meeting room. They were a bit early and no one had arrived yet, no one except Carlton who sat quietly at the far end of the table.

"Good morning mayor." Carlton greeted them unconvincingly.

Floyd eyed him with distrust. This young man was only here to ensure he left, obviously desperate to take his place as leader of the town.

"Carlton." He replied cautiously.

"Who's your lady friend?" Carlton enquired staring Leila up and down.

"This is Leila." Floyd introduced her not really interested in engaging this boy in conversation.

"Never seen her around before," Carlton continued prying.

Floyd offered Leila a seat then sat him self at the table.

"Probably not." Floyd flatly answered.

Carlton stood from the table and began to pace the room in an annoying nature.

"So, you still intent on leaving?" Carlton quizzed with a smirk.