Chapter one

I sat quietly in my room, waiting for Maxon. Our six maids bustling around quietly around me. We had three boys and three girls. Three for me and three for Maxon. The girl maids were of course Mary who had decided to stay, Marlee who I had of course asked to come, and Lilly. Lilly was pretty new, since at the time I knew no one else Maxon had selected her for me. I was still getting use to Lilly, I missed my old group of maids. After Lucy retired to be with her father and Aspen, and Anne died in the last rebel attack on the palace. Mary was the only one left. Maxon's butlers as he had told me to call them, were Carter, a younger man named Ed, and an older man named Robbie. Sometimes I would catch carter an Marlee staring at each other from across the room. I had been so deep in thought that I hadn't noticed Maxon open the door.

"How are you my dear" he said with a small smirk on his face, daring me to challenge him.

"Since the first day I have told you not you call me dear".

I silently remembered the night in the bunker when I thought Maxon was during alone under a table. I had collapsed into a crying heap and promised that he lived I would let him call me dear forever, but I wasn't about to him that. I still hated that nickname. He half limped half strolled in and gingerly perched at the end of the bed. We sat silently, leaning on for what seemed like hours. Then he leaned over kisses my cheek and lay back on the bed.