Death is For the Living

It's been 5 days since your accident. I needed something to get through today so sorry if my words don't add up right or anything. I would say don't tell mom, but, well, you can't.

Remember how you once told me that people die twice? Once when you actually die, the second time when someone mentions your name for the last time. I never really thought about it but I guess it's true.

What's it like? The darkness? Remember how I used to be scared of the dark? Childish. I've gotten over that fear, I don't panic about it anymore.

Can I ask you something? Was it on purpose?

I'm trying to add it all together — it happened exactly one year from the incident with the family; a mom, a dad, and their two kids. You felt guilty about it, didn't you?

It wasn't your fault, I don't know why you would never listen to me when I would tell you that. I'm sorry for bringing it up, it's just, you know how I get when I've been drinking.

They said they found quite a bit of alcohol in your system. Maybe that's the cause of it, you were just drunk and didn't know what you were doing and it really was just an accident. I don't believe that though, I think even though you were drunk, you meant for this accident to happen.

Uh, I don't know anymore.

I'm looking around, I didn't know you had so many friends. Dad of course isn't here, he's passed out drunker than a skunk on the couch at home, and mom, well, she hasn't left her room since she heard the news so she isn't here either.

It's funny isn't it, you don't even know we are grieving your death. I guess funerals are really just for the living that get left behind.

Remember how you said you would protect me? How you were never going to leave me behind?

Why did you leave me alone in this hell?

I might just lose control.