Girl friends are the best friends

On the way to Morton county, Ryder just seems to want to avoid the topic of the conversation we had before we left. While all I wanted to do was talk about it and get the God forsaken argument out of the way before it affects how we act as friends.

Well, I guess it already has affected the way we act. I reach over and flip off the radio.

"What the hell do you have against highway don't care?" He asked sarcastically, with a major eyeroll to accompany it.

I decide to ignore his previous  ignorant comment. "You know exactly why I flipped the radio off. We need to talk about this, and you know it. Why don't want me working with this horse? You know I can handle myself around horses," I tell him.

"I am not saying you can't, but I just have a particularly bad feeling with this one and you have a personal bias to this horse. Of course you want to save her, she is your mom's horse, but she is also the horse that ended her career," he shoots back to me.

"She might be the one that ended her career, but that is not her fault and you know it. How can it be the horse's fault she got spooked and slipped in the arena mud?" I say to him, like it is the simplest thing in the world.

  "Fine, race on her, but if she does anything out of the ordinary, you have to tell me. I cant have you getting hurt. Your brother is making me watch you." 

I give him a look of agreement. Well, that didn't hurt at all, I thought maybe he actually cared about me, but no, it's just because my brother asked him to look after me.

Wow, that's a fun feeling.

I flip the radio on and we sat like that for the rest of the ride in comfortable silence, except for the occasional sing along song.

    We arrived at the rodeo and I was ready to go. I unload Santana and Rubix, While Ryder got his horse Ash and a sale horse Sargon, who is a four year old gentled silver grullo stallion that will do just about anything you ask of him.

I walked into the temporary stable area and hitched them to a hitching post, while I walk back and unload my tack from the trunk. Ash and Sargon are hitched to the rail right next to us. I finished brushing my two around the same time Ryder finished. I walk over and grab his witchy mare Ash and lead her to the warm up ring.

Ryder and I always warm up each other's horses. We have done this since we became traveling partners. I start to do walking spirals, then I spiral back outwards. It looks almost like a dance. I have to do something to make her think or she would go crazy and start to try and throw me. But if she is working on where to place her feet and bending into my leg, she can't think about hurting me. I start to do the spiral and figure eights in a trot, lope, and gallop. I do the same thing with Sargon. I have a little bit of time to kill before Ryder or I ride tonight by the time I finish.

So I wander around the rodeo looking for my next horse to train and sell, when you hear the phrase no one wants to hear.

"Loose horse!" Some unknown voice yells out, breaking the silence of my thoughts. 

I look up and see this bright palomino horse running straight toward me. I know I have to make myself look bigger, because a horse is a flight animal.

I throw out my arms wide and plant my feet right in the ground. I hear the pounding hooves stop and feel a heavy breathe hit me. I slowly move my hands to grab the horse's lead rope. I stroke the heaving giant's face with slow but steady movements.

"Thank you so much for catching Champ. There was a rustling sack on the ground and he broke away," the girl who runs up and grabs the lead rope from me says quickly. She is really hiper and quirky. "Oh! I completely forgot to tell you my name, its Abby," she says excitedly.

"Well, my name's Alex, and I really have to go, so here is my number, we should really hang out some time," I say with a smile. 

________________________________

Oh my gosh it been like 40 years since i updated i will try to get better but i have sports coming up so it might be a little spaced out between updates and it is also almost my best friends birthday Slothy_Chicken go wish her a happy 13 birthday also if anyone is interested in becoming my editor. message me