Chapter 11, Search Party

I'm baaaaaack!

Sorry for the bad, boring chapter.
I'm a bit rusty from not writing in a while.

Also, didn't check for spelling mistakes. Sorry if there are any.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Barney's POV

It's been a day since we lost Max and Aaron joined our group. We've been wandering around the area searching for Max but haven't had any luck so far. We decided to split up into groups of 3 to try and find Max. Aaron, Jess, and Jin are circling the sides of Nova and Star's base. Adam, Cory, and Shelby are searching the forest south of the base. Me, Red, and Ross are searching the forest north of the base.

"MAAAA-" I quickly slam my hand over Ross' mouth. "Don't yell! You'll alert any nearby guards!" I tell him quietly. Ross nods with tears in his eyes and looks at the ground while we're walking. Red is overhead climbing across the tree branches trying to see if he can see Max in the distance. "See anything?" I ask Red, he responds "Nope. Just lots of trees and birds... wait." Red jumps down from the tree and starts running way ahead of us. I grab Ross' hand and run after him. When we finally catch up Red is standing infront of a weird statue. It's all broken and covered in moss. The one part that isn't covered in moss or broken has weird tiny scratch marks on it.

"When the elements start to fall, they will hear the call. When the star makes their choice, it won't be to listen to their voice...?" Ross says quietly. "What's that supposed to mean?" Red asks him. Ross hums quietly and blinks a few times before turning to Red and answering, "I don't know, it was written on the statue." Red looks at the statue again to confirm then turns to Ross to ask a question but I beat him to it. "What are you talking about? There's no writing here." Ross shakes his head no and points towards the weird scratch marks. "Right there. Do you not see it?" "I see a bunch of tiny scratch marks, not writing." Red says, sounding annoyed and confused. Ross looks just as confused as Red and me at this and mumbles something.

Before we can ask him what he said, we hear a gunshot nearby. I signal for Ross and Red to follow me and we sneakily walk towards where the sound came from. We reach a clearing where two of Star and Nova's guards are. "I CAN'T BELIEVE WE LET HIM GET AWAY!!!" The first one screams, before shooting their straight up in the air. The second one sighs and speaks calmly, "You're the one who'll be punished, not me." "WHY WPULD I TAKE ALL THE BLAME?!" "You're the one who screamed at him so he knew he had to run." "YOU'RE THE ONE WHO TRIPPED ME SO I COULDN'T RUN AFTER HIM!!!" "I did no such thing, you tripped on a tree root." Red, Ross, and I roll our eyes at the bickering guards and sneak past them.

We walk around that part of the forest for a while saying Max's name but not too loud so we don't get caught by the guards. "Guys, look at this!" I say to Red and Ross when we find a trail. There's a trail of footprints that's covered in fresh blood on one side. I smile a little knowing that this must be a trail to where Max is, but frown once I realize that we can't leave behind the others and by the time we bring them here the guards will be on his trail too.

Why does everything have to be so complicated?