War and Love Don't Mix Well

The war just seemed to rage endlessly around them. All the buildings that stood around New Mombasa were now no more than rubble and corpses of both foe and friend. No words had been shared between the Chief and the Lieutenant despite the fire fight that raged around the pair. He stayed by her side, taking bullets over and over for her, not because of rank and his duty to care for the lieutenant but because of their bond. With the war there was no time to lie to each other and themselves about the feelings they felt. Not even their 36 year separation had broken that.

"Fire team Charlie..." The Lieutenant called through the comms "Move to my left, guard our flank. Watch for snipers"

"Ma'am will do" Section commander Sanaz Adalwulfa, or Wulf for short, responded back through the radio, she was Parisa's most trusted section commander. Despite being sisters they kept their relationship professional and managed to be put together, the pair was inseparable. They had been there for each other through their hardest times.

Parisa's team was holed up in the skeletal remains of some old residential building and looked as if it would collapse with only a few more hits. Unfortunately for them it was the only shelter from the Covenants endless wrath. Fire team Charlie sneaked behind Parisa to her left were a large gaping hole bore through the wall. The team was composed of two ODST, Sanaz and Kelmar, and four other UNSC Marines. They worked as a well-oiled machine. The Chief watched the team move, he moved a little closer to Parisa, something didn't feel right. The Covenant wasn't as ruthless as usual; if they wanted they could wipe out everyone holed up in the building with ease, including himself.

Parisa's attention was directed at firing all her bullets into the Covenant, not letting a single one hit her men. She wouldn't leave New Mombasa without all of them, and everyone knew it. Before anyone could react they heard the loud thrum of a Covenant Phantom. It flew ahead hovering only meters above the ground, about 500 meters from the team's position. its doors opened and mountains of Covenant grunts poured out, just more cannon fodder. At the back of the hoard was something much worse. Two Pairs of hunters dropped to the ground with a loud thud, shaking the ground below them. They thrust their 'heads' forward in unison letting out an ear popping howl. Their guns and shields flew behind them as they let out their war cry.

"Chief, we need to move now!" Cortana's tone was rushed and concerned. Not even Spartans could take on hunters by themselves, she switched to Johns external speakers, "Lieutenant, we need to move. You can't take them on; you don't have the fire power!"

Parisa turned to John, dropping her gun just a little. She had a look of horror shoot across her face. Behind John, Sanaz was being mauled by an Elite. It held its arm up, baring a large blade, ready to bring it down, on Parisa's sister. Wulf held her gun to the Elites head, firing endlessly, attempting to break its shields

"John, Down!" Parisa barked. He ducked down as the lieutenant drew her weapon above the Spartan firing into the elite, it was too late. The Elite brought its knife down, the blade piercing the ODST's armour, going straight through her arm. She let out a blood curdling scream. Parisa knew that pain, of course she was used to that kind of pain now, Sanaz wasn't. Chief turned and ran full speed into the Elite, his hand going through its head. Fluorescent blue blood splattered across him and the ODST below him. He shook his hand removing as much blood as he could. He stepped over the fallen soldier, making room for Parisa.

"SANAZ!!!" Parisa sprinted over, dropping beside her sister. She lifted her up into a sitting position, her arm was mangled and blood spilled everywhere. Parisa cradled her little sister, tears dropping. She couldn't stand seeing her own blood in so much pain. With each move, the ODST let out grunts or screams of pain. Her arm had been almost completely detached from her body. She looked to anyone with answers.

"Oh god... It'll be okay, I promise..." Parisa composed herself, helping her sister her feet, they couldn't stay here. "We need to move, now!" Parisa turned to look briefly at her men.

Everyone turned their attention to the north wall, a green light began to burn through the concrete, grunts poured through the holes and everyone was beginning to clump together in the centre of the room. The hunters were trying to collapse the building on top of them, and then wipe out the survivors.

"Shit! John we need to move" Parisa still held her sister closely but turned to John for help. They had no were to go.

"The south wall" It was John's voice now, "Move!" He grabbed Sanaz from Parisa carrying her with ease.

Neither Parisa nor Wulf protested, it would be easier of he took her. Parisa turned to her men, making her voice loud enough to hear over the muzzle fire and carnage "Everyone! Follow the Master Chief!" One by one they stopped firing turning to follow the Chief to safety.

Parisa was the last to move, she kept firing until everyone was out of the building, it was her job to protect her team. She wasn't aware of how long she'd sat their firing at the grunts, rage had taken over and she wanted to see every last covenant in that building dead. They hurt her sister and put her through pain that the lieutenant hoped she'd never have to experience. The hunters continued to fire at the building, each time Parisa could hear the building groan under the strain. It wouldn't be long until it collapsed.

"Parisa!" She briefly turned to see John, standing in the south door. She needed to leave, now, but it was too late for that. John all but teleported to the Lieutenant, he cradled her close to his chest and made sure that she wouldn't get hit as the building fell on top of the pair. The building moaned as the foundation cracked and the building came toppling to the ground with such rage. Parisa stayed close to John, aware of what he was doing, he was keeping his promise.

The sound of grunts screaming filled the empty silence as the final pieces of building dropped; two of the hunters had gotten caught in the way of the concrete slabs, becoming wedged underneath them. John knelt on one knee, leaning over Parisa, his shields flickered and died, but he still stayed, protecting her. They waited for a few moments, before John quietly spoke to the Lieutenant, still aware of the Covenant only meters away. They were cloaked by the thick mist and dust caused by the building collapsing.

"Your men have gone to a nearby lake, they'll be safe there. Your heading their too. I'm going to kill the last of the Covies then I'll join you" He pressed his helmet against Parisa's forehead as he spoke. It meant a lot to both of them. "Now go. Run as fast as you can"

"I don't want to leave you here, you can't take them all on" She moved a little closer to John, losing herself in his company. He didn't reply. John held Parisa close for a second more.

He turned around, making the lieutenant turn with him; he lightly pushed her away from him. Despite his golden visor, Parisa could tell he was making direct eye contact with her. She needed to go, the Chief could handle himself, and she wasn't going to lose him. Parisa pirouetted facing away from John, ready to run. She felt John move forward and whisper in her ear. His hand was in front of her counting down to one.

"I love you..." His last finger dropped "Now go!"

Within seconds Parisa had taken off running towards her team and John had stood facing the Covenant, ready to kill every single one of them. Parisa heard the sound of muzzle fire as John, slowly wiped out the remaining Covies. The Lieutenant made her way to the lake where her team would be waiting for her.