Soft on Rebellion - Chapter 3

"Danny bolted," Tommy said, leaning against the doorway to the parlour.

"Oh, fuck," Arthur replied as he cleaned the still healing cut on his forehead. "So what, we're at war with Italians now?"

"Don't be so dramatic," Polly chided.

"No..." Tommy said.

"Why are you saying it like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like you can't quite believe it."

Tommy blew out a trail of smoke and took another drag of his cigarette.

"They seemed so certain on it. It isn't in character for them to just accept that he would be gone. They'd want some sort of penance."

"Just be glad they don't," Pol said, putting a cup of tea in front of him. "Tessa will be happy at least."

"How is she?" Tommy said, interested.

"What?" Polly sighed.

"Well..."

"You don't think she had something to do with it?" Arthur asked incredulously. "What sway would our Tess have over the Italians?"

"That's what I'm afraid of."

"Well don't be," Polly said. "She stayed in the house all day yesterday like you said and now she's upstairs, sick."

"She's sick?"

"Temperature," Polly nodded. "She's been sleeping all morning. I'm gonna get her up now or she won't sleep tonight."

"Y'know she's not a baby anymore," Arthur laughed.

Polly smacked him on the back of the head as she went. 

----

She returned with Tessa trailing behind. She was paler than usual and dark marks lined her eyes.

"Alright, Tess?" Tommy asked.

"I'm not talking to you."

"Sit down, love," Polly said, sliding her a cup of tea and some jam and bread.

"Thanks, Pol."

"And Tommy's got something to tell you."

Tessa looked up to find him studying her. She hated when he did that. He was searching for answers and she couldn't afford to give them up. Telling her family would escalate things, and that was when people got hurt. For all she knew, the baker would never cash in his favour, and they could forget all about the whole business.

"Danny ran away last night. He got on a boat to London. He's alive."

Tessa made her eyes widen, trying to seem shocked.

"That's wonderful."

Tommy didn't say anything as she swapped her attention to her lunch, but she could feel his eyes on her. And not just hers. Tessa glanced to her left and saw Polly staring at her too. Was she really so transparent?

"Well, Arthur and I better get going. We're meeting up with John and then going to the faire. It's a shame you're so sick, Tessa, or you could have come," Tommy said as he and Arthur got to their feet. "See you, Pol."

Tessa avoided their eye as they passed, and let out a breath when the door shut.

"You must really be sick," she said. "To not put up a fight over that."

She shrugged, "Not that fussed."

"Really?"

"Really," Tessa said, and pushed her plate away. "I'm gonna go back to bed, see if I can sleep it off."