TWO

Austin was making himself his usual cup of morning coffee. He'd spent most of the night with on call with his younger brother, and had only turned in by the time the sun was ready to rise. He arrived at the deserted BAU only a couple of hours later- - so he was running on little to no sleep. College him could handle it, but current Austin might as well have been a zombie.

As he was pouring some shitty black coffee from the pot and into his 'Spider-Man' mug, he turned to look out of the window that connected the break room to the bullpen.

It was strange seeing it abandoned, when it was usually bustling with people during the day. As of then, no one was there. That was, until a slightly disheveled Spencer Reid entered through those big glass doors.

Austin sighed softly, watching the other man enter. He was there earlier than usual, probably to catch up on paperwork. He hadn't seemed to have gotten much sleep either, Austin could see it in his evident, and extremely adorable bed-head. He was also carrying one of his signature sweaters over his arm instead of wearing it.

Spencer wore clothing that matched his personality really well, and it was endlessly endearing. Austin wasn't sure how that worked out, given that there was nothing particularly different about the clothing, yet it was undeniably Spencer. That day, he'd put on a white long-sleeved button up, its sleeves pushed up to the elbow. A skinny black tie was around his neck, and he was wearing his usual fitted slacks and black converse.

Austin was so caught up in watching Spencer (and his demeanor, of course - - it wasn't every day you got to see a sleepy Spencer that forgot to tuck in half his shirt), that his cup overflowed with the coffee, spilling all over the counter. "Oh, shit!" He exclaimed, peering down for the first time since the doctor had entered.

He could hear a laughing from beside him, and he looked to the side to see Derek, who stood by the end of the same counter with a cloth in his hand and a grin on his features.

Austin smiled sheepishly and blushed, before taking the item from his colleague, and wiping up the mess he'd made. His ears were burning, and even after he'd thrown the wet cloth in the sink, he couldn't bring himself to look up at his colleague.

"What? Did Boy Wonder distract you?"

"Shut up," Austin told him in a slightly childish way, both of them knowing that he didn't really mean anything by his words. He carried on to put one and a half sugars in his cup, avoiding eyes contact.

Derek only chuckled again. "You're into Spencer," He observed the obvious, his voice accusatory and teasing - - like they were in high school, or something. And nothing was more equivalent to Derek than a cool jock that gives all the nerds the light of day.

Austin bit the inside of his lip, contemplating what he should say. He quickly realized that denying it would be stupid on all sorts of levels, and would probably land him in a lot of trouble if Derek had anything to do with exposing his lie. "Yeah, I guess," He admitted after a few short moments of deliberation, "It's hard not to be."

"Well . . ." The other man began as he grabbed the coffee pot from its place near Austin. "I think it's cute," He commented off-handedly.

"What's cute?" Spencer asked from behind them.

Austin got a fright, turning around to see the man they were talking about, standing in the doorway to the room. He clearly hadn't heard anything, standing there with the purple cardigan he'd now put on, and an innocent look on his face. Light shone from behind his head, making a perfectly fitting halo behind his soft golden hair.

Austin cleared his throat, looking down at the floor, as if just looking at Spencer could give it all away. "Um, uh . . . nothing," He murmured.

Derek bumped his shoulder slightly, before shooting him an easy grin, and sauntering passed Reid, out of the room.

Austin tried to look like he was busy, getting milk from the fridge to pour in his mug. When he finally gave up on trying to ignore him, he looked up and over at Spencer (as if he'd changed in the past few moments), who already seemed to be looking at him.

He tried not to blush, and Spencer did, too - - but it was to no avail. Both of their hearts were pumping a little bit faster than usual, and feelings they didn't even know were there, were threatening their way out of their hiding spaces.

Despite this, Austin wore a slight smile, which, after a moment, Spencer seemed to mirror.

"You have a really pretty smile." Spencer observed, totally out of character. All he did afterwards was lick his lips, contemplating what on Earth compelled him to suddenly start blurting those kinds of things out loud. It's not like he didn't think it was true, of course he did - - he just would've never been overwhelmed enough to admit his thoughts.

Austin simply melted in reply, his shoulders not so tense any more. "Thank you." He said honestly, his smile growing even bigger than it was before. Was it bad that his heart was beating that fast? Was it bad that he was so fond of someone he'd only know for a week, maybe more?

"It's okay," Reid mumbled, shrugging. He was clearly embarrassed and anxious (but not remorseful, no). "Did you, um, know that smiling genuinely can help build up your immune system, as it decreases cortisol levels in your body? And also decreases stress, which has long-term healthy affects on the heart?" Spencer rambled aloud.

"I didn't know that," Austin shook his head, trying to hide the fact that he was beaming on the inside. He'd heard Spencer spout random facts before, and he didn't think he'd be getting over it any time soon. It was adorable. And genuinely sometimes seemed to be a coping mechanism when he was nervous.

God, how did Spencer Reid do it? He didn't even try, and yet he was simultaneously the most intelligent, the most beautiful, and the most endearing person in every room he ever walked into.

Austin couldn't get enough of him.