16. It's a new day

April's POV

Well you done done me and you bet I felt it

I tried to be chill but you're so hot that I melted

I fell right through the cracks

and now I'm trying to get back...

I covered my head with a pillow, but I knew it wouldn't help. Even though I was only half awake, I slowly hummed the lyrics as my ancient phone kept vibrating over my alarm.

..Nothing's going to stop me but divine intervention

I reckon it's again my turn to win some or learn some.

I stretched out my hand, grabbing the phone, but I didn't turn the alarm clock off. "I'm Yours" was one of my favourite songs. Instead I looked at the time, and sighed; 7:45 am. Waking up so early could only mean one thing; my first day of work for the summer.

I couldn't believe that it was finally Monday. The time had passed so slowly. I did have fun the past two days, but simply thinking about...

But I won't hesitate no more, no more

It cannot wait, I'm yours.

I jumped off my bed right when the alarm automatically stopped, hurrying to the bathroom in the silent hallway. When I passed by grandma's bedroom, I noticed that it was empty. Of course she had woken up before me. But I didn't understand why she kept doing it, as usually, I was the one who was waking her up, because she loved to sleep as much as I do. But since a few months ago she had changed that habit; she would wake up when the sun rose and go outside in our garden, staying as long as possible on her bench.

I opened the bathroom door, hopping into the shower and letting the warm water wake me up. But as much I wanted to stay in there forever, I needed to get ready.

I wrapped a towel around my body, as the cold air made me shiver, and I began brushing my teeth. I tried to make myself look as reasonable as possible, before finally leaving the bathroom and making my way back in the bedroom.

After dressing up with a simple pair of shorts and a T-shirt, and also taking my colourful swimsuit, I was ready to go. Although the pool was not very close to our home, I prefered to walk. It took me about half an hour, so I hurried to grab my keys and step out of the house.

As expected, grandma was sitting on the wooden bench. Some branches of one of the trees were gently caressing her soft hair; the leaves were offering the perfect shadows of the morning. She was reading an old book, smiling slightly.

"Morning." I said grinning, coming next to her and sitting down.

She looked at me, leaving the book on her lap, and smiled,

"Good morning, April. Did you sleep well?" she asked me calmly.

"Until my alarm clock mischievously woke me up? Yeah." I laughed.

"Oh. Today is your first day at work this summer, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is.' I sighed, and added, giggling. "It's been a while...I wonder if they still have my uniform."

"I'm sure they do. You're like a member of the family there." grandma smiled reassuringly.

"I guess so." I let out a small laugh. "Anyway, I think I have to go. I will meet Liz after I leave the pool, alright?"

Grandma nodded slowly, but I could tell she had guessed the real reason for meeting Liz. I stood up, walking back on the path, when she said calmly,