Chapter 4

Her uncle Neil was the entrepreneur in the family, a man who, in her mind, operated in the business world at a level she didn't understand. Although they were family, her dad and Neil were as different as two brothers could be. Her dad was a rancher, the head of the family, in a way, whereas Neil was about glitz and glamor and everything to do with making money in business. He owned a resort in Cancun, made other offshore business deals she'd also learned of, and had investments she couldn't begin to understand. Even though she didn't get any of the depth of what he did and what made him tick, her charismatic uncle loved his family deeply.

Then there was her aunt Candy, a woman she swore could have been a supermodel back in the day, as well as their adopted daughter, Cat, in her teen years, who was deaf, and Michael, her little cousin, who was all about hockey. She didn't know he'd come up with that, but every time she saw him, he was working a ball on the driveway with a hockey stick, whacking it at the siding of the garage.

"So your mom said you needed some help with course selection," Neil said.

Becky was sitting in a soft plush chair opposite her uncle's desk in his home office. He'd added it as an addition just the previous year, a glassed-in solarium that faced north and south, with a bookcase in the corner, a sitting area by a gas fireplace, and pictures of places he and Candy had traveled.

When she said nothing, Neil glanced up to her with the same amber eyes as her dad, his dark hair graying some, just as a knock on the open door brought her head around.

"Neil, I'm heading into town, shopping, and then picking up Cat and Michael. Just remember Trevor is still here and waiting for you to help him finish that table he started. He's sanding it down now out in the garage." Candy stepped into the office. She had long legs, a slim figure, and the perfect curves, and she appeared so young in a simple cream flowing peasant blouse. It was classy. She leaned down and kissed Neil, and the diamond stud in his ear flashed. His hand rested on her curvy butt. Becky had to look away from their private moment. Awkward!

"Becky, don't let Neil have you arranged and signed up for something you don't want to do. You make sure he hears what you're saying. Make sure he understands what you want and what you don't," Candy added as Neil pretended to be offended. His burgundy knit sweater hugged his broad chest.

"I wouldn't do that," he said, sounding defensive.

Becky took in the notes on his desk and what looked like details or organization for Becky's future, considering her name was written at the top of his notepad and underlined twice. She just stared at her aunt, who knew her uncle likely better than all of them and was the only one who could also get him to see reason on anything, especially when he got an idea in his head.

Candy pressed her hand to Becky's shoulder. "Seriously, Becky, speak up and tell Neil not to push. Your future, your choice. You need to be clear with everyone."

She was about to nod as her aunt gave her a knowing look. Maybe she understood how Emily had directed her to her uncles as if she had no say. "And he'll listen?" she said and didn't miss the smile that touched Candy's lips.

"Seriously, you two," Neil snapped, and Candy wandered out, leaving Becky alone with her uncle, who was now watching her with a look that bordered more on frustration. Then he took in the papers, looking across at everything he'd organized to help her, what, decide on a future? He moved it all to a pile and leaned back in the chair, gazing out the floor to ceiling window. "Becky you've probably said no more than two words since arriving. I got a call from your mom that you needed some help figuring out your future, but sitting here across from you, I'm starting to wonder some things."