Chapter 1: Blood on the Barbwire Fence

DISCLAIMER:  

This work of fanfiction belongs to me. The characters and events in Stranger Things DO NOT.  I'm just a fan who needed to scratch a 1980's supernatural adventure itch.  This work also has shades of 80's movies, Heathers and The Fury as influences.  Neither one of those movies belong to me either.  

11 - 12 - 1977

After multiple tests, it has been determined that test subjects 003 and 004 are what we had hoped

Though both have been contaminated by the classified events of the Apollo 8 mission, they have not suffered the same fate as others who were exposed. To the contrary, they have thrived.  We hypothesize that being in the womb at that precise stage of development may have lent them protection from the horrific side-effects of the astral event, while granting them unprecedented abilities.

...Further studies are needed.

We have determined that  subjects #003 and #004 are less powerful when they are not in close proximity with one another. Working in tandem however, they are impressive telepaths, however dangerous and difficult to control.  #004 is reluctant to show her full potential, but is the most powerful of the pair, by all measures.  #003 has a kind of preternatural focus beyond his years.  There is no hesitation in any task given, even those that harm or take life.  

It is recommended that both subjects be kept out of the Rainbow Room and confined to seperate spaces away from the newer subjects and most especially from one another.

///

December 21st, 1977

0250  

The small brown girl lay beneath a thin blanket on a cot within her padded room exerting more mental effort than she ever had before.  A single camera watching like a malevolent eye from a high corner in her room was knocked askew.  The walls flexed and undulated like the chest of a large beast.

The guard who had been watching that camera fell unconscious at his station.

A pale boy with large solemn green eyes was locked inside of the same type of room on the opposite side of the facility.  He stood up in his thin rumpled pajamas and walked to a corner, his eyes fixing on nothing.

"I'm scared,"  she said, both aloud and inside herself.

"Don't worry.  I'm here,"  he replied, within her mind.

The girl relaxed when she heard the boy's voice in her head.  Everything was better, -felt surer when they communicated like this. 

"You can do this. You have to get out of here.  At least one of us does."

"I can't leave without you."

"You have to... I'll help for as long as I can."

The girl's eyes filled with tears. This had been the plan and now was the time to act.  She had to leave. The boy reached out and touched the padded wall of his cell, his fingers flexing against it. It was shallow comfort, but it was something tangible.

They were connected in ways no other human beings even had language or context for. The girl had been the only person the boy had known in his short life who had shown any real measure of authentic kindness towards him. She was the only person who understood what this odd existence was like, -being different in this way, -the heavy burden of the power.   

The girl opened her eyes and determinedly got up, wiping furiously at her face.  She would get the boy out of here too. She was strong enough.  That thought she kept locked away from him.

She fixated on the heavy door of her room, her eyes narrowing.  She could feel the boy lending what strength he could to aid her.  The door buckled and bent inward like a piece of paper being crumpled within a fist, and eventually fell off of its hinges.  The girl walked through the threshold and was immediately confronted by several armed men...

Armed with sedative dart-guns, of course.  

Mustn't destroy the weapon.

They fired.  The reality of the space shifted and the darts flew at the men instead, finding their mark.  They all dropped to the floor, unconscious.  The girl slowly walked on, concentrating hard on keeping this reality inverted.  Those still coming after her would never turn the corner of the hallway leading to her, but return to where they frustratingly began.

She was outside now, and could see the way out.  She had to get to the barbwire fence, but spotlights shone everywhere.  They were searching for her.  One by one, she focused on their light and burst their bulbs.

"Almost there.  Don't stop."

She walked to the fence under cover of darkness and pressed her hand against it, feeling the substance of the metal de-materialize beneath her palm.  She saw through to what she called a slip,  -a slice in reality that would act as a bridge; a shortcut to take her clear across the country. 

Slowly it widened.

"Almost there."

The boy began to fade. 

"No!"

She felt him weakening, -felt the pressure in his head, the thin line of blood trickling from his nose. She sensed the gathering of men outside of his door through him. They knew he was helping her. 

They knew.

One of the men was fumbling at the lock of his door.  They would make him sleep and when he awoke they would punish him.

The boy fell to his knees.

"Stay with me!"

The girl closed her eyes where she stood, her tiny body trembling with increased effort.  She grabbed at the slip, cutting her hand.  She redirected it to the boy's room with a grunt, and her nose began to bleed too... As the boy finally lost consciousness, he fell through it.

Exposed and weakened as she was, she knew they would focus all of their energies on her, now that the boy was gone.  She was weakening.  

One more...please!

With one last burst of strength she reached down deep to find the slip that was always within...  

He's safe. 

Go!  

-PUSH! 

She crossed her arms as the space around her rippled like the disturbed water of a flat lake.  The men surrounding her now, frozen by the spectacle, watched this happen with wide eyes.   

The grey-haired man in the tower shouted, "Fire!" and all of the uniformed men present did.  Their darts cut the air where the girl once stood.

She was gone.

...Her mind, body, and all memory of this place.