Chapter One: Reliving the Past

Silence. It was the only thing I had with me. Apart the chirps of crickets and tweet of birds.

There was a loud noise.

I'm not sure how long I've been walking, but I figure I could take a break. I look up at the sky to see the sun at the top of the sky, about mid-day.

A red light started to flicker across the entire camp.

I have a watch in my bag, but it's best to look at the sky while your own the move. I stopped and took my gun from its holster located at my waste, pointing it around the area as I checked its security.

Cry jumped up and looked at me. Neither of us knew what it meant.

Once I was sure it was clean, I made my way into a set of apartments located across the street.

We looked out of our room to see the rest of the six looking around. In the distance, more bangs and crashes followed by screams echoed.

The Apartments weren't nearly as tall as the surrounding sky-scrapers. The city was huge and dangerous, I was taking a big risk being here, but I need supplies.

We grabbed our weapons and ran to the more public area of the camp. People were everywhere. Panic. Everyone was panicking.

I begin walking on the first floor of apartments, passing by a maintenance closet before stopping at the first apartment door. First of all, I checked the knob.

Then, I saw it. We all did, at the same time. It was a pack of Glitchers, making their way through the camp, killing everything that moved.

Locked, as to be expected, so I took a bobby pin from my hair and the knife from my pocket. After a minute of fidgeting, the door clicked open.

There was no saving them. There were too many GLitchers. There were so many Glitchers.

Replacing the pin and knife, I got my gun out and slowly inched the door open.

Then, I was pulled away, back into my room. But, not before I saw all of the people on the ground. Covered in blood. Dead. Lifeless. Men, woman, and children alike.

The room the door led to was the kitchen. I shut the door behind me and started peeking around. Nothing good was in here, probably looted already.

I remember when life was just surviving. There was nothing to lose. Look at all we had lost. Look at all the life lost.

I jumped up with a scream from my lips, throwing my hand over my mouth.

Cry sat up, too. So did everyone else.

But no one was surprised at my outburst.

We all had nightmares.

Cry pushed on my shoulder until I was lying down, again. He wrapped his arm around me and drew me close. Forcing my head onto his chest, he ran his hands up and down my back until my breathing had slowed.

Soon, he was sleeping again. I wasn't. How could I? I couldn't stop thinking about it. The horror. The death. The gore. The anger.

They did it on purpose.

All those lives, because of the one we took.

I knew Cry felt guilty. He thought he was the reason that they sent the Glitchers.